• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece for Opticron ES 80 (1 Viewer)

Hi
what magnification eyepiece would you recommend to use with the Opticron ES 80 GA, at the moment I use a zoom lens, but I have heard that a fixed wide angle is better for Digiscoping. Any advice welcome (my photo's can't get any worse).
Thanks Jackie

I am not familiar with your scope brand and the camera you use will affect the choice but generally you want the lowest power eyepiece your scope supports. You want this because you want to maximize the exit pupil size and thus the light coming into your camera. More light means faster shutter speeds and sharper images.

If your camera has 3x-4x zoom range or lower, a wide AFOV with moderately long eyerelief of about ~15mm is best. If your camera has greater than 4x zoom, long eyerelief becomes more important than a wide AFOV, with ~20mm or more being optimal.

hope this helps,
Rick

Hi Jackie
I use the same scope and a zoom and i have no problems.I like the zoom for the extra reach and the ability to frame close targets. The higher the magnification the more you loose defination and the more affected by wobble you become. A good solid mount helps loads. Concentrate on close targets like a feeder down the garden with lowish magnification. If your camera is a simple point and shoot you could try the auto setting and the macro setting and see if one produces better results than the other. When you offer the camera up to take the shot gently breath out as you press the button. Also try and stay still for a second after you have taken the photo.I find this helps develop a steady hand when hand holding shots.
I hope this advice is not to basic for you.
Cheers
daf

Hi
what magnification eyepiece would you recommend to use with the Opticron ES 80 GA, at the moment I use a zoom lens, but I have heard that a fixed wide angle is better for Digiscoping. Any advice welcome (my photo's can't get any worse).
Thanks Jackie

If its the HDF zoom you have, its fine for digiscoping!. Its what I use too.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back