• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions please (1 Viewer)

Neil-T

Moorlands Macro: Close up and personal....with bug
I know there will be mixed views on this, but here goes.

Would a 1Ds Mk1 be a step forward or a step back for me. I currently use a 40D-400mm f5.6 combination. I use this for bird photography.

I have read some reviews on the web and they are mixed, they say the user interface is difficult to get on with and some of the settings difficult to master. Honest opinions guys and gals. Thanks. Neil.

To be honest if I were in the same situation a you i`d buy a used 1D mk2 faster frame rate good ISO performance the same amount of fcussing points(i think).Or even a used 1D mk3 as i`ve heard they sell for around £1500,just stay away from the ebay ones as the ones i`ve seen are pretty battered looking & don`t give me much confidence.

Steve.

I think the 1Ds Mk 1 is getting to be fairly old technology now - the DP Review full review says of it that it's low ISO performance was not as good as the EOS D60. When I considered my recent upgrade I didn't really include it in my thinking. The 1D MkII or 1Ds MkII would seem to me to bve a better bet.

I recently bought a second-hand 1D MkIIN and am loving it. It was a bit of a mental shift to get used to the controls but not too bad. You get used to it surprisingly quickly. Today I brought my 20D into work to get some snow shots (I don't have a bag big enough for the 1D) and after only three weeks with the 1D I was struggling to remember how to change the settings on the 20D!!!

Fixation had some good s/h prices when I was looking as did some other s/h canon dealers

Would a 1Ds Mk1 be a step forward or a step back for me. I currently use a 40D-400mm f5.6 combination. I use this for bird photography.

The 1ds mk1 is probably better suited for landscape photographers who can use low ISO. It probably is not as good for birds as your 40D.

The 1ds mk1 is probably better suited for landscape photographers who can use low ISO. It probably is not as good for birds as your 40D.

A couple of questions (from an interested party)
1. Why is the 1d Mk1 not as good (for birds) as 40D but the Mark11 is.....is the sensor
size different ??

2. What is the difference between a Mk11 and a Mk11N ?

A couple of questions (from an interested party)
1. Why is the 1d Mk1 not as good (for birds) as 40D but the Mark11 is.....is the sensor
size different ??

2. What is the difference between a Mk11 and a Mk11N ?

Keep in mind the original post was on the 1ds which is a different body than the 1d

The 1d Mk1 is a 4mg body while the mk2 is an 8mg. There are a lot of other upgrades as well.

The MK2n was a fix of the original MK2. The AF is supposed to be a lot better. It is otherwise the same. For bird photography you definitely want the MarkIIN

Keep in mind the original post was on the 1ds which is a different body than the 1d
The 1d Mk1 is a 4mg body while the mk2 is an 8mg. There are a lot of other upgrades as well.
The MK2n was a fix of the original MK2. The AF is supposed to be a lot better. It is otherwise the same. For bird photography you definitely want the MarkIIN

Chrysophylax
Please don't think I'm hijacking your thread but hopefully these questions are relevant to you/your decision.

What is 4mg/8mg body??
Is the 1Ds full frame
Is the 1D x 1.3 crop or full frame
Reason for the questions.....I am also debating the change from 40D + 100-400 which effectively gives me 640mm as against 1D which give shorter effective length but will handle 1.4TC better (hope that makes sense:eek!:)

1d - 4megapixel. 1.3x crop. 8.3 fps
1d MkII - 8 megapixel 1.3x crop. 8.3 fps
1ds - 11 megapixel - full frame. 3.3 fps
1ds Mk II - 16 megapixel - full frame. 4fps
All have 45 point AF system

Thanks for that- I thought it must be megapixel but for the fact I didn't realise the 1D was only 4!! How technology advances.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back