• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id ?????? (1 Viewer)

Michael W

Mountain Chickadee
This will be a little different. I have posted one picture, and want anyone and everyone to PM me their guess. I will post the answer tomorrow at this time (unless I can't get to the computer...). I will list the correct guessers, and an explanation.

Please send me a PM, don't post your answer here.

Michael

Attachments

• 204_0477.jpg
    204_0477.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 252
First of all, thanks everyone for participating! Eleven members took part.

The quiz bird is quite obviously an oriole. No one seemed to have any problems with that. The harder part is putting it to species. This bird is definately not an adult male of any species, even though it is singing. Most male orioles live their first summer looking younger, in juvenile plumage. They don't get the full plumage until the next year.

That appears to be the case here. So we'll work our way through the orioles.

Streaked-backed Oriole. The wingbars are to bold, and if you could see it, there are no streaks on the back, honest.
Bullock's Oriole. 1st year male would have a light breast, and a black eye-line behind the eye, not present in the quiz bird.
Baltimore Oriole. 1st year male doesn't have a black throat.
Hooded Oriole. Looks good for the quiz bird. Black throat, one bold wingbar, long bill.
Orchard Oriole. Also looks good, although notice the shorter bill, and the presence of two wingbars (I realize the latter could change).
Altamira Oriole. More bulky overall than the quiz bird. Wings are too dark. The bill seems too "chunky" (English translation - too fat and short).
Spot-breasted Oriole. Wings are too dark, and there are no wingbars.
Scott's Oriole. None of the plumages sport the black throat, gray wings, and one bold wingbar.
Audubon's Oriole. Ditto.

This 1st year male Hooded Oriole was photographed at the El Rio RV Park in southern Texas during April, 2004.

Correct guessers (Congratulations!):

Larry Lade
Motmot
Andrew (Fifebirder)
Jane Turner
KCFoggin

This is the tally of the number of votes for each species.

Bullock's Oriole - 2
Hooded Oriole - 5
Orchard Oriole - 2
Altamira Oriole - 1
Scott's Oriole - 1

I would be interested in any feedback regarding this quiz.

Thanks!
Michael

Tough call,Michael...could be Orchard or Hooded from that one photo in my opinion.
But you saw the bird and I'm a bad loser having gone for immature Orchard!

Ah well. Given a 50/50 chance I'll always take the wrong one! Trouble is I've only ever seen Baltimore in the flesh. Nearly went for Hooded because of the single wing bar, but opted for Bullock's because the pics in Sibley suggested that was the most likely one to have a black throat that didn't reach the eye.

More generally speaking, is the extent of the black throat variable in immature orioles (in those species that have one)?

Michael W said:
I would be interested in any feedback regarding this quiz.
It was interesting, Michael. And fun. On balance I think I prefer to follow discussions as they unfold, but it's nice to have an alternative like this sometimes so you don't get swayed by others' opinions!

Last edited:
"Scott's Oriole. None of the plumages sport the black throat, gray wings, and one bold wingbar.
I would be interested in any feedback regarding this quiz."

Thanks!
Michael

Michael, can I bring your attention to the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds, (Western Region) photograph 588 text page 760.
In addition, there are photographs and descriptions of female Scott's on the web,
" Females are, on average, smaller than the males. Adult females have olive-gray under parts and top of the head with dark streaks on the back. There is no brown present on the body. The body color becomes yellowish on the rump and upper tail coverts. They also have two wing bars, as opposed to the male's one wing bar. The female's throat is sometimes spotted, clouded, or washed with black. Old females usually have a completely black throat. Immature females are duller in color, without a trace of black. (Bailey, 1928; Brandt, 1951; Ligon, 1961; Phillips, 1964)"

That would tend to contradict your statement to an extent.

When enlarging your supplied photograph, a second wingbar is there to an extent on some of the coverts.

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/Photo/Images/h5050p2.jpg for a poor photo of a juv Hooded.

Best regards

Malky, allways open for ID discussions.

Bluetail said:
More generally speaking, is the extent of the black throat variable in immature orioles (in those species that have one)?

I would think that there is variation. Maybe if they're molting. :h?:

alcedo.atthis said:
Michael, can I bring your attention to the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds, (Western Region) photograph 588 text page 760.
In addition, there are photographs and descriptions of female Scott's on the web,
" Females are, on average, smaller than the males. Adult females have olive-gray under parts and top of the head with dark streaks on the back. There is no brown present on the body. The body color becomes yellowish on the rump and upper tail coverts. They also have two wing bars, as opposed to the male's one wing bar. The female's throat is sometimes spotted, clouded, or washed with black. Old females usually have a completely black throat. Immature females are duller in color, without a trace of black. (Bailey, 1928; Brandt, 1951; Ligon, 1961; Phillips, 1964)"

That would tend to contradict your statement to an extent.

When enlarging your supplied photograph, a second wingbar is there to an extent on some of the coverts.

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/fra...ges/h5050p2.jpg for a poor photo of a juv Hooded.

Best regards

Malky, allways open for ID discussions.
Today 11:29

Thanks Malky! I hadn't realized that Scott's Orioles came that way.

But why would the oriole have been singing if it was a female?

Cheers,
Michael (also open for ID discussions)

Thanks Malky! I hadn't realized that Scott's Orioles came that way.

But why would the oriole have been singing if it was a female?

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael, female Orioles (not only Scott's) sing, ref Audubon, Cornell etc. They sing in response to the calls of the males.

Regards

Malky.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back