• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-legged Honeycreeper in Puerto Viejo (1 Viewer)

QBE

In Costa Rica recently I spent a lovely hour photographing a male Red-legged Honeycreeper at Manzanillo south of Puerto Viejo. Now I'm back home again sorting all the piccies out I've noticed that this is apparently completely out of its range. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Which Puerto Viejo are you talking about? The one one the Sarapiquí river or the one on the coast somewhere?

Niels

In Costa Rica recently I spent a lovely hour photographing a male Red-legged Honeycreeper at Manzanillo south of Puerto Viejo. Now I'm back home again sorting all the piccies out I've noticed that this is apparently completely out of its range. Does anyone know if this is normal?

During May 2010, I saw Red-legged Honeycreepers at Cahuita (just north of Puerto Viejo de Limon), frequenting a feeder in the village. The Garrigues/Dean map suggests that's out-of-range.

True, but the Panama guide map shows them right at the border, very close to Manzanillo.
They are not common in the costarican south caribbean but definitely there. I lived for 6 months in that same area 10 years ago and found them rarely. They are probably spreading from the Panama range.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back