• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens actually reach 250mm? (1 Viewer)

Hor Kee

Penang birder
Dear all,

I'm wondering whether the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens actually reaches 250mm on the telephoto end. Does it fall a bit short, such as the 100-400mm L or the Sigma 150-500mm? I can't find anything on this topic on the net, while comments regarding the latter two lenses are common.

Any opinions? :t:

Regards,

Hor Kee

Many lenses don't quite meet their focal length specifications, I have read that the Sigma 150-500 actually goes to 480mm. That's a loss of 4% - hardly something to jump off a cliff about - it's probably called a 150-500 for prctical/marketing purposes.
I don't have a Canon 55-250, but a friend has, and she gets some pretty good results with it - VERY good results if you factor in the price!
If the lens does what you want then don't worry about it, I am sure it goes to roughly 250mm or so.

Thanks John. I'm loving this little lens. Fantastic IS for its size and decently sharp to very sharp photos when stopped down to F8.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back