• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting Scope Advice (1 Viewer)

oncebittern86

Hi all

I'm looking into purchasing a budget spotting scope (max £200) and I was wondering if anybody had any advice on what to look for and any good models?

I've been looking at the 'Celestron Ultima Refractor 80-45' which seems to have good reviews around the net.

Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe.

The key piece of advice is to make sure you try out a telescope before you buy it. Take into consideration the size, weight and type of eyepiece (either fixed or zoom). Factor in you will have to buy a tripod separately. I would recommend going to Cley Spy at Glandford - they have a wildlife garden at the back of the shop so you can try out scopes on birds.

I'm not familiar with the scope you mention (I think Celestron are more known for their astronomy telescopes) but my first telescope was an Acuter, and I found that very good for a budget scope.

Good luck,
James

Hi all

I'm looking into purchasing a budget spotting scope (max £200) and I was wondering if anybody had any advice on what to look for and any good models?

I've been looking at the 'Celestron Ultima Refractor 80-45' which seems to have good reviews around the net.

Thanks
Joe

I agree with James. Pop into Cleyspy and/or Titchwell RSPB just to try them out. Get a feel for what magnification you need, straight or angled eye piece and also assess the cost of the scope, eyepiece and good quality tripod. It maybe that you'd be better off raising your budget somewhat to purchase a better scope set up that will last many years. My first scope, bought 35 years ago lasted me over 30 years and only replaced it to get more magnification for sea watching and to help my fading eyes!
Also, keep an eye on 2nd hand ones for sale in the classified section on this forum as well as secondhand ones at Cleyspy. Not too much that can go wrong with a scope, so if it is perfect when bought, it should last many years. Sorry, can't give you a definitive answer to your quandary but I would check the celestron out before purchasing and compare to others.
regards,
Jono

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try and check out Cley Spy, had seen an advert for it in a magazine recently and was intrigued. I live near wex photographic so might have a look in there too. Jono, what make and model did you first buy and James which acuter model did you have?

My first scope was bought second hand from CleySpy, an Optolyth. Chunky scope but great piece of kit considering I paid under 400 for it. Still got it boxed up somewhere. Definitely get yourself along to their shop and check out the second hand range. Birders tend to look after their kit, then upgrade.

Cheers,
Jim.

My first telescope was an Acuter ST 16-48x 65A. Relatively cheap and quite light - when I was walking long distances I carried it in my backpack and used it to scan from fence-posts!

After a few years I got a larger one, the ST 20-60x 80A. This was bigger (and heavier - definitely need a tripod) but had a larger zoom and captured more light.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try and check out Cley Spy, had seen an advert for it in a magazine recently and was intrigued. I live near wex photographic so might have a look in there too. Jono, what make and model did you first buy and James which acuter model did you have?

Jim is right, good quality second-hand optics are well worth considering too.

My 1st scope was a Charles Frank, 25X straight scope, rubber armoured, waterproof. Can't remember what I paid for it. Company was taken over by Opticron many years ago and they went on to manufacture same scope for many years. They used to be the ones used for viewing at Cley Visitors Centre. I still have it and use when I go abroad as I can pack it in hold luggage and not worry too much if it gets damaged or disappears. Now have 20 - 60X Optolyth scope, bought last year, 2nd hand from Cley Spy. It'll still be around when I'm not. Really does pay to go to the top of your budget as you'll have a scope that you'll enjoy and be pleased with for many years.
Hope you find a suitable, good performance scope.
Cheers,
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back