• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900 (2 Viewers)

Hi altogether,

I'm still switching from digiscoping with a scope to a astro-telescop. During my search I saw this little "toy" and thout to me - ok, lets play with it. What should I say - for digiscoper, that works in the range up to 2000mm it could really an alternative. But look by yourself - most of the pictures taken with 2000mm.

regards,
Mario

Beautiful, Mario! Would I be correct in thinking you like your new "toy?"

Mine has just been despatched - and Amazon then dropped the price by £40+. The little tinkers !!!

Any ideas on accessories etc whilst I am here ??

Case, lens hood, spare batteries (if needed) etc etc

Jeff,

all on edge pictures were taken handheld with stabilizator(I have no clip angle for this camera) - all other were taken with tripod.

mzettie,
I 'm positive surprised - it is now more a tool than a toy :)

regards,
Mario

Last edited:
Mine has just been despatched - and Amazon then dropped the price by £40+. The little tinkers !!!

Any ideas on accessories etc whilst I am here ??

Case, lens hood, spare batteries (if needed) etc etc

Well I'm still waiting for mine to become available but I ordered extra batteries and an external charger, an SD card an a carry bag. I also ordered something to hang the lens cap on the camera as otherwise I will just lose it.

Distant eagle nest...

I took the P900 to a place where I know there's an eagle nest in a tree setup over a commuter rail line. The nest is about 80 yds away, and near the top of about a 60' tree... Although certainly not an "award winner", it's really nice to finally be in range at some of these locations...

Chris

Attachments

• P900_0399a.jpg
    P900_0399a.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 543
and a few bird photos from Algarve and Coto Donana, none of which were particularly close..

Attachments

• DSCN1688a.JPG
    DSCN1688a.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 493
  • DSCN1763a.JPG
    DSCN1763a.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCN1670a.JPG
    DSCN1670a.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN1623a.JPG
    DSCN1623a.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCN1326a.JPG
    DSCN1326a.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 251
I took the P900 to a place where I know there's an eagle nest in a tree setup over a commuter rail line. The nest is about 80 yds away, and near the top of about a 60' tree... Although certainly not an "award winner", it's really nice to finally be in range at some of these locations...

Chris

That's a nice pic, and I agree, it's easy to get complacent and forget how far the birds are away from us.

Thunderstorms were forecast for today in Hong Kong but we just got the clouds and dull light. We were all looking for the first record of a Buff-breasted Sandpiper in this area as well as the elusive Spoon-billed Sandpiper.
Once again I had no luck but the P900 do good work going through the masses of birds at the high tide roost in less than ideal light.
One of the features I like is the AE Lock that you can activate at full zoom in video mode so when you zoom out or pan, the exposure stays the same. Great when you are trying to follow birds up into the air.
Here are three images of the masses of shorebirds at 550 mm, 125 mm and 2,000 mm.
Neil.

Attachments

• shorebirds breed roost MP P900DSCN3867.jpg
    shorebirds breed roost MP P900DSCN3867.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 402
  • shorebirds breed roost MP P900 125mm DSCN3874.jpg
    shorebirds breed roost MP P900 125mm DSCN3874.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 253
  • curlew sands breed roost MP P900DSCN3869.jpg
    curlew sands breed roost MP P900DSCN3869.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 452
Well, it appears that the telescope eye guard which arrived today may work for me... Although I'd prefer that Nikon made something specifically for this purpose, since that's unlikely to happen, this should do pretty well to both protect my glasses as well as block extraneous light.

Chris

Attachments

• eyecup_2.jpg
    eyecup_2.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 293
  • eyecup_1.jpg
    eyecup_1.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 330
Well, it appears that the telescope eye guard which arrived today may work for me... Although I'd prefer that Nikon made something specifically for this purpose, since that's unlikely to happen, this should do pretty well to both protect my glasses as well as block extraneous light.

Chris

Cool, Chris, that'll probably help a lot of people with their P900s, very kind of you to post.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back