• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x23 Venturer II...alignment/collimation? (1 Viewer)

Crake Dude

I recently obtained a used pair of 8x23 Venturer II compacts but the alignment is a bit out. Does anyone know how to correct the collimation, please? I cannot locate any screws on the body, nor see any sign of an eccentric ring around the object lens. The image in these is really superb, so would like to sort them out, please.

Also, the body hinge is a bit floppy....how can I tighten it slightly? Do I need to prise off the circular cover on the focus wheel?

Thank you.

Steve

Hi Steve

Funnily enough I got a cheap pair of Nikon 8x23 CFIII's on Saturday. Fortunately I do not share your issues, but I had to glue back the disc which sits on the focus wheel as the exposed screw was visible underneath. Presumably undoing this screw will remove the focus wheel and may allow some hinge tightening.

On my bins there are 2 screws underneath oval "caps", either side of the focus on each barrel, also 1 screw on the underside of the hinge. Where you get to if you undo all these I don't know but it may be worth exploring.

Last edited:
My Venturer II (which, btw, was Stephen Ingraham's first birding bin), went to the big junkyard in the sky after getting fogged, so sorry I can't help the Cake Dude, but in case others were wondering what it looks like, here it is:

Venturer II head

Brock

Thank you, 'dipped'....I think your CFIII pair are the later version Travelite ones, which replaced the Venturer II 8x23. Mine have a sort of brown, leatherette covering on the body, perhaps the the collimation screws are lurking underneath that.

Very funny, Brock. Yep, I believe the head of the trash-collector robot WALL-E may have been modelled on Venturer II binocular....I wonder if he had double vision as well!

If I could contact Stephen Ingraham about my Venturers, I would, but I think Stephen has retired from Zeiss now.

Steve

Hi Steve
I think the screws are more likely casing screws not collimation screws, and yes they probably are under the covering. I don't know how these things are collimated.

Cake Dude,

You could probably contact Stephen on twitter, Facebook or Google+. He's on all of them. Here's his website:

lightshedder.com/

I bet he has an email address associated with his website. Try singraham AT lightshedder.com

Pie Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back