• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski 8 to 12x zoom binoculars? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I just completed a marketing questioner for Swarovski in which a lot of the questions asked if I would prefer an 8 to 12 x zoom binocular over a traditional 10x if they were a little heavier in weight. This makes me wonder if they are not considering making an 8 to 12x zoom binocular. If they were good optically and weighed around 33 oz. I would definitely be interested.

Last edited:
Den

Was this definitely a zoom from 8-10? I mean with the magnification smoothly variable all the way from 8 up to 12, and not like the Leica Duovids that are either 8x or 12x and nothing in between?

Lee

Was this definitely a zoom from 8-10? I mean with the magnification smoothly variable all the way from 8 up to 12, and not like the Leica Duovids that are either 8x or 12x and nothing in between?

A true zoom? Making sure that really works would be a nightmare, I suppose. You'd have to make absolutely sure both tubes are exactly the same and keep their settings.

I reckon Swarovski would be far better of working on their focusers ... o:D

Hermann

Den

Lee
No details and it is just conjecture. Just a questioner but every question was would you prefer a normal 10x over an 8 to 12x zoom. If they did make an 8 to 12x zoom with say a 50mm aperture and it weighed 33oz. that would definitely be nice.

It would be interesting to see what they can do with them. I've had a pair of Leupold 7-12x32's. They work great at 7x, but hardly ever use them at 12x. The field of view drop off so severely you just don't feel like you're seeing additional detail. I don't know how else to describe it. It also better be a fairly bright day if you are going to use them at 12x.

Last edited:
Interesting concept, they could work well if they utilized the dual focus/zoom ring design from their scopes and applied it as a duel focus wheel ala Leica Ultravid. 8-12x50 SLC HD's... yes please!

Exactly. A binocular like that would be very nice. I would want at least a 50mm aperture to cover 8 to 12x though. A quality variable magnification binocular would be very nice especially if they could keep the AFOV pretty big at the higher magnifications.

It would be interesting to see what they can do with them. I've had a pair of Leupold 7-12x32's. They work great at 7x, but hardly ever use them at 12x. The field of view drop off so severely you just don't feel like you're seeing additional detail. I don't know how else to describe it. It also better be a fairly bright day if you are going to use them at 12x.
32's are too small for 12x. Now if you had a good old 50mm at the front end bringing in light 12x with a 4mm exit pupil would be pretty bright. An 8 to 12x zoom and a 50mm or at least 42mm aperture. That would be sweet.

Last edited:
I completed the questionaire too. They used the term "Zoom" at all times when describing it.

The last question asked for comments on an 8x-12x Zoom. Objective size was not specified but "38mm" was listed which I found curious. My comment was that I would not consider purchasing an 8x12 zoom binocular for $2800.00 but would consider it if it was an 8x12 switch power like the Leica 8x-12x switch power binocular.

Bob

Den

Lee

I actually have seriously considered purchasing the Leica Duovids but the smallish FOV has kept me from doing so. I think have a binocular that would go from a fixed 8X to a fixed 12X and not give up anything optically would be huge. The Duovid was surely a step in that direction but Leica(OR Swarovski) needs to take the next step to offer current state of the art specs/glass/coatings.

I completed the questionaire too. They used the term "Zoom" at all times when describing it.

The last question asked for comments on an 8x-12x Zoom. Objective size was not specified but "38mm" was listed which I found curious. My comment was that I would not consider purchasing an 8x12 zoom binocular for $2800.00 but would consider it if it was an 8x12 switch power like the Leica 8x-12x switch power binocular.

Bob
If the technology was available to make a zoom binocular perform like a regular fixed magnification wouldn't you rather have the zoom? That would be huge to smoothly go from 8x to 12x. You could scan with the 8x for signs of birds or animals and movement with the bigger FOV and then when you saw something zoom in with the 12x to see detail. Give me a 400 foot FOV @8x and a 300 foot FOV @12x. That would be AWESOME! I would pay $4k for that.

Last edited:
A 50% zoom range seems unambitious considering even pocket sized cameras do 2000% or more.
If the linking of the two tubes is the problem, why not get rid of one?
A hand held telescope with a binoviewer should be very compatible with zoom optics. The only downside is the loss of the 3D effect. Could Swaro be that adventurous?

Swarovski will not be introducing a zoom binocular anytime soon, it is not necessary.

The next revolution in this technology would be digital. Just like an Iphone or camera.

Jerry

I would only want a ''zoom'' if it were more dramatic - like 8 - 16 x or there-abouts. Anything that can double as bino and a scope would be a true ground-breaker.

If the technology was available to make a zoom binocular perform like a regular fixed magnification wouldn't you rather have the zoom? That would be huge to smoothly go from 8x to 12x. You could scan with the 8x for signs of birds or animals and movement with the bigger FOV and then when you saw something zoom in with the 12x to see detail. Give me a 400 foot FOV @8x and a 300 foot FOV @12x. That would be AWESOME! I would pay $4k for that.

Dennis,

That is an awesome fantasy and if it can be done it will weigh a ton and cost a ton! Leica's switch powers don't even come close to that. For a long time I have been thinking about buying one but I never could pull the trigger because of their weight and narrow FOVs not to mention their price!:eek!:

Every zoom and switch power binocular I have ever seen had much smaller FOVs over the full range of the zoom than equivalent individual binoculars had over that same range.

Bob

Dennis,

That is an awesome fantasy and if it can be done it will weigh a ton and cost a ton! Leica's switch powers don't even come close to that. For a long time I have been thinking about buying one but I never could pull the trigger because of their weight and narrow FOVs not to mention their price!:eek!:

Every zoom and switch power binocular I have ever seen had much smaller FOVs over the full range of the zoom than equivalent individual binoculars had over that same range.

Bob
Yes, it probably is an impossible dream but it would be nice wouldn't it?

A Canon IS zoom makes more sense.
10x to 20x or 12x to 24x.
Maybe 42mm.

I'd be right behind you in the buyer queue, along with the many others who would love to ditch the scope and tripod hassle.
We can only hope someone at Canon is reading BF.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back