• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

38x MC WA in the ED82 (1 Viewer)

Neil Hagley

Sancho, in another post, said that he is 'lusting' after the 38X. Well having thoroughly tested one out in an ED 82A this week I can honestly say this is a wonderful EP. The detail grasp at distance is phenomenal and the field of view is lovely and 'spacey'. I've been umming and arring over the 25-75 zoom but I now think this is a perfect compromise and I can't see many situations where 38x with the level of brightness and crispness of the ED 82 will not be enough. Get one!

Neil,

I tested the 50x Wide in my ED82A this week as well. It seems like the depth of field on the 50x is extremely short, I imagine that the dof on the 38x Wide is better. What do you think about it?

Switching between the 30x Wide and the 50x Wide it's easy to love the 50x too, and now I know I will love the 38x as well, and so I think will have to get one.

Concerning eye relief, seems like the 38x and the 50x are the sweet spot:

30x Wide 15.1mm
38x Wide 17.9mm
50x Wide 17.8mm
75x Wide 17mm

I can't really see using the 75x Wide (I have the 25x-75x Zoom), does anyone know if it is brighter, or sharper than the zoom (I would think so)?

EE

Last edited:
I tested the 50x Wide in my ED82A this week as well. It seems like the depth of field on the 50x is extremely short, I imagine that the dof on the 38x Wide is better. What do you think about it?

I had a 77mm Kowa fluorite with a 30WA before. All I can say is the 38W in the Nikon ED 82 is in a totally different league. The dof is however short being 33m @ 1,000m but is a little better than the 50x which is only 24m, but I quite like the actual view/result.

Last edited:

I had a 77mm Kowa fluorite with a 30WA before. All I can say is the 38W in the Nikon ED 82 is in a totally different league. The dof is however short being 33m @ 1,000m but is a little better than the 50x which is only 24m, but I quite like the actual view/result.
By a bizarre and happy coincidence, Neil, I ordered one lastnight!!! I just can´t wait, I´ve gone all tingly with Optic Neurosis Rush....I´m sure it´s what Smack Addicts get as they heat up their spoon.....I have the 50x too, yes, the DOF is extremely short, I really got it as a 27x for my ED50. Thanks for the advice, Neil!!! (I´ll tell Mrs. Sancho it was all your fault..;))

Sancho,
So how does an addict rationalize the purchase of a 38x when you already have the 30x (and 50x). The difference in magification is only ~25%!

--AP

Because it makes him feel all warm, tingly, and good and happy, and the feeling lasts too! But if he buys the 75x Wide then we know he's way beyond normal addiction and in the realm of optical alternate reality, and that he's a goner! At that point he'll probably start collecting every spotting scope on the market that offers interchangeable eyepieces! Fess up Sancho do you own the 75x Wide? Even I couldn't go that far, ha!

EE

Hmm....I have the 75x WA.....but I guess I'm not an addict since my dad bought it for me (he insisted I have it for astronomy--I don't use it for birding).

--AP

I dont think anyone should have to rationize buying anything IF they can afford it .
Just the simple joy of owning something even if rarely used can make it worth it .
Kind of like people who get great joy owning rare stamps or coins .
You cant do anything with them but you really get great pleasure out of the ownership.
Also do you think the kids will spend your money any wiser than you do yourself.
Mine certainly wont.
People ask me why do you need all those bins & scopes.
I answer, because i want them .Why do you need all that money in the bank.
The shear joy of having certain thing makes life great.
Brian.

Sancho,
So how does an addict rationalize the purchase of a 38x when you already have the 30x (and 50x). The difference in magification is only ~25%!

--AP
"Rationalize" doesn´t even enter into it anymore.;) Curiously enough, drugs don´t follow the normal economic law of "diminishing marginal utility". That´s why governments can always raise extra revenue by increasing taxes on alcohol and cigarettes...it doesn´t matter how much the price rises, addicts will eventually cough up and return to their old consumption rates, because they must. Optics addiction works the same, I guess....even though I have enough, I lust after more....let´s see how long the rush lasts from the 38x eyepiece.....(I¨ve a confession to make, Alexis...I have the 25-75 zoom as well, mind you I hardly use it anymore....). There must be a self-help group somewhere that I can join........

(I¨ve a confession to make, Alexis...I have the 25-75 zoom as well, mind you I hardly use it anymore....). There must be a self-help group somewhere that I can join........

No help here, I'm afraid. As I'm sure you know already, that 38x will be sweet in comparison to the zoom--much wider FOV and much better eye-relief at that power. :)

--AP

No help here, I'm afraid. As I'm sure you know already, that 38x will be sweet in comparison to the zoom--much wider FOV and much better eye-relief at that power. :)

--AP
To be honest, that´s why I got it...Scampo recommended the 38x highly, I find the 50x not much use on the ED82 (very fiddly focus), and seawatching off the West Coast (of Ireland, that is) in August I found the zoom not much use for moving birds, very hard to find a target with the narrow FOV. Thanks for the advice, folks!:t:

I think this IS the self-help group, ha!

Hi everybody, my name is EagleEyed and I'm a Nikon Fieldscope ED addict, there I've said it! It all started this year when I became a serious field birder, and then I got Scope Fever for the first time...

There, I feel better already, it really does help, however it's a bit like the prisoners having the keys to the jail cells, this being the self-help group, ha!

Anyway, I was just out shorebirding with a guy with a Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL, and a guy with a Swarovski 80HD. I liked the view through my 82ED better than the Swaro, the Swaro seemed to have a semi-fiddly focus as well. Maybe that is a funtion of the helical type focus? The Zeiss however had a great view also and was a Sheer Joy to focus compared to the Nikon and the Swaro! That is the ONLY issue I have with the Nikon, the fiddly focus, it seems to only be fiddly at higher magnifications though. Is that pretty much the consensus in the Nikon Fieldscope community, that the focus is fiddly at times (high magnifications)?

Thanks, EE

Is that pretty much the consensus in the Nikon Fieldscope community, that the focus is fiddly at times (high magnifications)?

I find that the focus ratio makes precision focus at high magnifications more difficult than I'd prefer. Holding the focus ring along the edge so that my fingers drag along the adjacent edge of the scope body helps a little with this.

--AP

I think this IS the self-help group, ha!

Hi everybody, my name is EagleEyed and I'm a Nikon Fieldscope ED addict, there I've said it! It all started this year when I became a serious field birder, and then I got Scope Fever for the first time...
Hi EagleEyed (clap clap clap). Hi my name is Sancho and I can´t stop buying Nikon ED Fieldscope-related products. Mind you, I really, really don´t own a 75xw eyepiece, and never will. (But I´ve also recently developed an addiction to Canon IS bins, which is a whole other issue that I´m struggling with at the moment. It´s a kind of self-torment.)

Sancho,

There's even help for the Canon IS addictinitis sufferers among us:
http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=449

EE

Guess what, the 38x eyepiece arrived in the post today (pretty damn quick from the UK, I´ll say, well done Royal Mail....). I´ve dreamt up a possible cure for the disease.....I haven´t opened the box yet, so every time I feel "Optics Withdrawal", I´ll just pick up the box and stroke it, riding that cusp between desire and fulfilment (where the real rush is, after all). Alternatively I might stop being a plonker, just open it up at the weekend and actually go birding with it.;)

Alternatively I might stop being a plonker, just open it up at the weekend and actually go birding with it.

That's a bit drastic!!! Think this through properly Sancho. If you succumb the drug will have beaten you, and you'll soon be lusting after your next fix before you know it. Listen to me-you know it makes sense! Together we can beat this habit, but first you must get rid of the box and the filthy eyepiece it contains. Cast it into the bin at the first opportunity, or better still, post it to me and I'll do the dirty job for you (I reckon it'd work a treat on my ED50!!!).

Steve

That's a bit drastic!!! Think this through properly Sancho. If you succumb the drug will have beaten you, and you'll soon be lusting after your next fix before you know it. Listen to me-you know it makes sense! Together we can beat this habit, but first you must get rid of the box and the filthy eyepiece it contains. Cast it into the bin at the first opportunity, or better still, post it to me and I'll do the dirty job for you (I reckon it'd work a treat on my ED50!!!).

Steve
Hmmmm.....Let me think about this one.....Seems like there could be a catch;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back