• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

challenging IDs (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

These are the threads describing the birds which have but up the biggest fight to ID or stirred up the most controversy...

Just in case anyone is bored this weekend!

Grebe spp Possible Pied-billed x Atitlan integrades;
Hybrid Aythya with Lesser Scaup Characteristics
Raptors Possible Peregrine x Saker?, Caracara spp - Unidentified, Common Buzzard with unusually pale tail; Unidentified raptor and probably unidentifiable, but it generated just about the most heated debate on BF. I can't make the original links work but there are some additional images of the bird late in the thread; Unidentified Raptor in Thailand, Possible Besra; Mystery raptor; Snake Eagle spp, ***Spotted Eagle spp,
Gulls Glaucous or Glaucous x Herring 1st summer bird; Troublesome gull variously identified as Laughing, Franklins, Little and Kittiwake; Unidentified gull possible hybrid LBBG x Herring; Large Gull spp; Unidentified leucistic Gull.
Terns Whiskered Tern, Elegant or Lesser Crested Tern In Dingle, Eire - presumed Elegant; Least or Little Tern
Waders Challenging Tringa, Probable Least Sandpipers, Little Stint that is confusable with Semipalmated Sandpiper
Little Stint tricky and slightly unusual winter-plumaged bird; Summer plumaged Stint Red-necked, Little or perhaps just a Sanderling; Unidentified Snipe, Odd Golden plover spp, another Odd golden Plover
Hummingbirds Unidentified Black Hummer, Brazillian Hummer
Unidentified Nightjar
Downy or Hairy Woodpecker
Cliff or Cave Swallow
Pipits Strange Tree Pipit allegedly; Pipit spp Icelandic Mystery Pipit; Pipit SppMeadow or japonicus Buff-bellied?, The Hannafore Pipit japonicus Buff-bellied Pipit or strange Rock pipit? further discussion.
Old world Warblershybrid Sedge x Reed Warbler, Unidentified Warbler, Whitethroat possibly of the race icteops; Unidentified Warbler spp in India, Hulme's Yellow-browed Warbler and probably Two-barred Greenish Warbler; **Iberian Chiffchaff probable!
Unidentified White-eye deceased after close encounter wth a cat;
Mystery Corvid
Southern Grey Shike lengthy debate about the identification of an adult male, possibly Steppe Grey Shike;
Kingbird spp
probable Cape May Warbler
Northern or Orchard Oriole
Euphonia or Tanager
Mystery Albino
Buntings Oddly plumaged Reed Bunting probably! Cirl Bunting moulting female;
Troublesome US Sparrow

Yes! Not found the Honey Buzzard thread though - I guess its in Birds of Prey and I've not been there yet. In spitting distance of finishing the Q&A - then just the quizzes to go!

Great thread Jane, an excellent read for newbies to these forums - like I am!

Btw in the "Mystery Corvid" thread - those pictures of the crow you've took - where about were you standing when you took those?! I've been to Red Rocks many times and the only view I've managed to get of the point garden that bird is in is over the wall with your back to Hilbre island... if you get what I mean. Where were you standing?!

I was inside the garden Ben... I have previously negotiated access rights with the nursing home owners for occasions just like this!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back