• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LARGE EGRET or INTERMEDIATE EGRET (1 Viewer)

idealera

Anyone can confirm it is a LARGE EGRET or INTERMEDIATE EGRET?

I personally think it is the latter

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 203
rhmmm, ive nver heard of and intermediate or large egret, they must be some species from nanjing. I dont know if you have it there, but it looks kinda like a Great Egret

Thank you for your post David

LARGE EGRET (a.k.a Great Egret) is Casmerodius albus
while INTERMEDIATE EGRET's Latin name is Mesophoyx intermedia

These two are similar and difficult for my indentification

G'day Luke,

One of the characters for separating Great from Intermediates in Australia is the pointy bit of bare skin below the eye. In Intermediate it stops at the back of the eye, which it appears to in your bird, and in Great it extends beyond the back of the eye.

Cheers
Gavin

I would say this is an intermediate egret, based on the relatively short bill and relatively short, thick neck (relative to great egret that is!)

Nice photo by the way!

Agree with John and Gavin

This is an Intermediate Egret..shorter neck, shorter stubbier bill, shoter legs and shorter more rounded wings.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back