• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset coast butterflies (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Though many seem to be reporting UK butterflies down, I was wondering what the current situation would be. With a sunny weekend coming up, any preditions for likely species on the Dorset coast, say Durlston and Corfe. Good time for Lulworth Skipper?

Last edited:
Though many seem to be reporting UK butterflies down, I was wondering what the current situation would be. With a sunny weekend coming up, any preditions for likely species on the Dorset coast, say Durlston and Corfe. Good time for Lulworth Skipper?

Jos,

We had Lulworth Skippers at Durlston last week, some of my pictures are in the July month at http://www.freewebs.com/notjustbirding/

.... but for a day by day account of butterflies and all wildlife at Durlston Country Park, go to this link:

http://www.durlston.co.uk/

Brian

main highlight at Durlston at the moment is the large tortoiseshell present 3 or 4 days now. I'm just praying it's still there when I call in for Lulworths on my way to Cornwall later this week. Were the Lulworths easy? They sound it but I missed them last yr on nearby Ballard Down.

main highlight at Durlston at the moment is the large tortoiseshell present 3 or 4 days now.

Depending on where you are coming from, of course ;) For a East Europe based guy, the Marbled Whites and likes of Adonis Blue knock the spots from the Large Tortoiseshell.

main highlight at Durlston at the moment is the large tortoiseshell present 3 or 4 days now. I'm just praying it's still there when I call in for Lulworths on my way to Cornwall later this week. Were the Lulworths easy? They sound it but I missed them last yr on nearby Ballard Down.

The Lulworths were really easy last week, if you walk down the tarmac road towards the Lighthouse, as the road drops downhill you pass a mock up of a quarry with what I think is called a windlass. Our Lulworths were each side of the road between here and the bridge at the bottom of the hill. The alternative is to walk west along the coast path and where the path emerges in to open fields (rather than being fenced on the landward side) start looking.

Hope this helps.

Brian

The Lulworths were really easy last week, if you walk down the tarmac road towards the Lighthouse, as the road drops downhill you pass a mock up of a quarry with what I think is called a windlass. Our Lulworths were each side of the road between here and the bridge at the bottom of the hill. The alternative is to walk west along the coast path and where the path emerges in to open fields (rather than being fenced on the landward side) start looking.

Many thanks

Lulworths

Lulworths were easy last year at least in the gully, and on the slopes between the visitor centre and the bridge to the west side. Very mobile though.

Lulworths were easy last year at least in the gully, and on the slopes between the visitor centre and the bridge to the west side. Very mobile though.

Came back from Swanage last weekend, if you are going for Lulworth Skippers surely it's only right to see them in nearby Lulworth Cove? Plenty there last week.

John

Came back from Swanage last weekend, if you are going for Lulworth Skippers surely it's only right to see them in nearby Lulworth Cove? Plenty there last week.

John

That's a good idea, sure would have a ring about it - not familiar with this locality, are they anywhere on the (?) coast path?

That's a good idea, sure would have a ring about it - not familiar with this locality, are they anywhere on the (?) coast path?

Hi Jos

There is a car park just before the cove and was very busy with tourists when I visited, just continue to the coast and then start looking to the right in the grassy areas above the beach.
Also Marbled White for you and Adonis Blue if you are lucky.

Regards
John

Attachments

• mwhite.jpg
    mwhite.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back