• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chetco River (1 Viewer)

OregonJunco

I live on the southern Oregon coast, and since I started birding, I am seeing many things for the first time that were here all along!

After work yesterday, the sun came out after 35 straight days of rain! I headed out for a drive up the Chetco River, which begins in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness Area and runs through the Siskiyou Mountains to the sea. I have done this many, many times just to watch the river and look at the forest. I never knew there were so many birds.

I saw two great blue herons, two pairs of beautiful common mergansers, several buffleheads on a sand bar, robins, cliff swallows catching their dinner over the water, several turkey vultures, and two sandpiper-like birds wading in the mud. (too far off to identify) All this in about 40 minutes.

Thanks to the birds, I feel like I live in a whole new world.

I had the same kind of experience when I started birding, too. You just start looking at your surroundings with entirely new eyes. Isn't it wonderful!?!

ESPECIALLY after 35 straight days of rain! More than a month! Don't know if I could stand it!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back