• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

24 Hour Nocitivid Test and Immediate Purchase (1 Viewer)

dwever

While I've been convinced the NVD's are better than my UVHD Plus, I would reverse numerous NTV purchase decision by telling myself it had to be another small step not a giant leap. I was wrong. The struggle in this initial review will be not to sound over-the-top over someone else's glass.

First and foremost, I want to thank Chili6X6 for his munificence and trust in loaning me his 10X42 Noctivid's yesterday.

Also, a shout out to Adrian at Eagle Optics (and EO for testing focus and hinges and two other metrics on the NTV's I asked them to before shipping). An immediate NTV purchase was the inevitable result of using the NTV.

No technical review here. My bino knowledge could generously be described as crass compared to some/most of you guys on here. I have Alpha glass because I travel overseas for work regularly, and go on safari in Africa at least twice annually.

1. For the sake of brevity I'll just say Chuck's (Chill 6X6) "So I opened the Box" thread and comments have my broad concurrence even at my comparatively diminished level of sophistication in optical judgement. Just phenomenal! I'll not repeat anything he reported as I am in full agreement.

2. Since we're not allowed to utter the amorphously understood 'sparkle' on this forum, I'll just think it about the image.

3. The industrial design and finish of the NTV's. That was one of the big things that drew me to my UVHD+, and the NVD has upped Leica's game - The NTV simultaneously exudes beauty, premium quality, and ruggedness. Perhaps with no peers?

4. Yesterday at Cabela's I compared the 10X NVD's to a number of 10X Swaro EL’s at Cabela’s from $2,599 to $3,299. The NTV edge out the Swaros with the full concurrence of three Cabela's staff. But then they know I want their Geovids HD-B's (I was disappointed in the transmission of the Geovid 10X42 HD-B's. The NTV's were startlingly brighter).

5. I cherry picked my UVHD+ 8X42 sending the first sample back to CameraLand New York, and getting in return the best focusing UVHD+ I've ever used (as well as owning the 7X42 and 10X50). Chill's NVD focus is better. Remarkable really.

6. Inside the tubes are spectacularly finished. Never seen anything like that.

7. I was surprised how substantial the NTV's look and feel especially if you have the UVHD+ right there with you. However, the NVD's never feel bulky or oversized. Ergonomics for me are very pleasing, and I never felt they were heavy even on the first afternoon in to the late evening when I had them to my eyes for hours. But hey, my first alphas back when were the indestructible Zeiss Marines, and I was perfectly happy bouncing around Africa with all 42 ounces.

8. Beyond color saturation, I've been a bit troubled by how little difference my apparently undiscerning eye can see in image quality between my Zeiss Marines and the UVHD+. Enter the NTV, the difference is immediate and visceral (particularly with the arrival of my 8X42 NVD where the magnification is much closer and you don't discount the difference to magnification).

I'll update with the 8X42 Noctivids Thursday after the first couple of days of use.

A. Pic below is Chill6X6 NVD's and my 8X42 UVHD+.
B. Second pic is me and my UVHD+ earlier this month headed by boat to Robben Island, South Africa, primary location of Nelson Mandela's incarceration.
C. Digibin Pic of Penguins on Robben Island using iPhone 7 and UVHD+. Picture is blown up considerably from original.
D. Digibin of African Fish Eagle, Rwanda, 4-2016. Cropped about 3X original size. iPhone 6 w/UVHD+.

Attachments

• Noctivid10X.JPG
    Noctivid10X.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 613
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 2.56.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 2.56.05 PM.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 287
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 9.20.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 9.20.28 PM.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 223
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 9.27.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 9.27.07 PM.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Congratulations with the NVD! I bet you just can't wait to head out to Africa again to test your new bino's.
Mine are now just a few weeks old so I'm slowly but surely gaining more experience with them. So far I have not found any flaws. They are stunning! Enjoy them, I'm absolutely sure they will not dissappoint.

Apart from the optics, Leica has done a great job on the ergonomics. As you note, they are taller and heavier than the Ultravids, but in-hand they feel so much better. The flattened armor on the sides of the barrel feels much better and more secure than the round Ultravids. They feel rugged like a Trinovid, yet look even more stylish than the Ultravid.

Good morning Doug!

Glad you enjoyed the NTVs! It's much easier to compare in your own time than a hurried manner. Of course you're are welcome! Glad to do it..

Pretty sure you'll enjoy then once you get them.

Update after receiving 8X42 Noctivids:

So it seem for this moment in time, the NTV is arguably the best binocular one can buy, and perhaps by a margin we haven't seen for a little while. , seemingly with the NTV is arguably the best binocular one can buy, and perhaps by a margin we haven't seen for a little while.

I would commend the Leica Noctivid to you in 2017 with the same enthusiasm I would have commended the Zeiss Victory FL back in 2004. They're both arguably the singular state-of-the-art in and for their time.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:

1. They have the least glare and internal reflections of any binocular I have used.
2. The NTV color is beautiful although a little more neutral than the traditional Leica signature.
3. 3D is not Leica Hyperbole in quality, it may be in quantity; and, it may be most noticeable in the 8X.
4. Industrial design and finish is top shelf.
5. The cordura case is the best design yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3888.JPG
    IMG_3888.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 241
  • FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
So it seem for this moment in time, the NTV is arguably the best binocular one can buy, and perhaps by a margin we haven't seen for a little while......

MHO:
Many of us may agree as long as the words "arguably" and "perhaps" are an indispensable part of the above sentence.

However, I personally think there is no such thing as "the best" binocular (or "the best" car or piano) and there never has been. That's probably why the product managers at Zeiss and Swaro still sleep at night, even after the launch of the Noctivid ... :)

MHO:
Many of us may agree as long as the words "arguably" and "perhaps" are an indispensable part of the above sentence.

However, I personally think there is no such thing as "the best" binocular (or "the best" car or piano) and there never has been. That's probably why the product managers at Zeiss and Swaro still sleep at night, even after the launch of the Noctivid ... :)

You raise a good point, there are only a few nips like you that have
tried the new Leica.

There is no "best" of anything, we all have our opinion, and that is
good. I really like to see that Leica has stepped up their offerings.

Jerry

MHO:

I agree. It depends on what one is looking for. But for sure there are only a handful that I would even be consider....

They are stunning! Enjoy them, I'm absolutely sure they will not dissappoint.

Apart from the optics, Leica has done a great job on the ergonomics. As you note, they are taller and heavier than the Ultravids, but in-hand they feel so much better. The flattened armor on the sides of the barrel feels much better and more secure than the round Ultravids. They feel rugged like a Trinovid, yet look even more stylish than the Ultravid.

Yeah, they feel great and there is definitely more to them. When Nancy first saw them next to the UVHD+ she remarked, "So you got the 12x50's after all instead of the new ones." Of course these are the "new ones". And they are bigger. But not in a limiting way.

Side-by-side below:

Attachments

• IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back