• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Size of titmouse, white head & belly, black/white wings (Boston, MA) (1 Viewer)

New Daddy

This bird flew away before I could grab my camera.

It was exactly the size of a tufted titmouse, which was easy to compare because it was fighting for seeds with a titmouse sitting on my feeder.

Its head and belly were white, but had black & white wings.

My field guide says its could be a snow bunting or a black-and-white warbler, but neither exactly fits what I saw.

Its bill was pretty long - longer than that of the titmouse, thus ruling out a snow bunting.

Its head was white, ruling out a black-and-white warbler.

The way it postured itself on a tree brach was unique too. It sat almost upside down, inclined at about 70' downward, looking down at the tufted titmouse as if to dart at it like a missle.

What could it have been?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back