• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

excursion 8x28 or swift RELIANT 8X42 (1 Viewer)

xuancool

I am new to bins and want to buy a pair of cheap bins (under $100)
I can get the bushnell excursion 8x28 for $60 and the swift for $80
I think they have similar specs, both phase coated and not heavy. The swift is $20 more, but it should be brighter than that bushnell. So which one is better?
Thanks for any comments!

Why don't you consider these Leupold 6 x 30 Yosemite's? They cost under $100.00, ($89.99) including the shipping. They are small Porro prisms, lightweight and tough as nails; and in your price range they will deliver much better performance (bang for the buck!) than the inexpensive Roof prisms you mention. I have one and it is excellent. You will also note that it comes in 3 colors too! http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4584
Cordially,
Bob

PS: There is also an 8 power version for only $16.00 more.http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4850

Last edited:
+1 on the Yosemite suggestion. They have to absolutely win the "best bang for the buck" award for binoculars. Leupold also claims they are waterproof and covers them with a generous warranty. I love my 6x30s and take them every where with me.
John

I forgot to tell about the rather famous gun writer/ hunting guide that tells us that he now leaves his $2,0000 Leica Duovid in the truck and only carries the little 6x30 Yosemite in the field, has for over a year now.

Last edited:
I do love the Yosemite. It just seems to get better and better. And I'd strongly recommend it.

That said I'd love for someone to try the Swift RELIANT 8X42. As another thread pointed out it gets good reviews (at the low end of the market) for a roof. And is remarkably light for a 8x42 roof (just over 20oz).

I am more and more used to the 8x28. Compared it to a Pentax 8.5x Papillio reverse porro. The Excursion had more depth of field, thus it was easier to focus ona car parked diagonally to outside the store. I preferred the 8x28 excursion.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back