• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do the Nikon 10x42SE's compare? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I keep reading all this rave about Nikon's 8x32SE binoculars. I notice that there is also a 10x42SE, but this type does not seem to have made it to BF fame. Does anybody know how this model compares to its famous smaller sibling? Or are they even not really "siblings"? They certainly look rather different.

Specifically then, are the 10x42 SE optically up to or better than the top grade porros?

The 10x42 SE uses the very same eyepiece and prism housing as the 8x32 SE. A different objective barrel containing a longer focal length 42mm objective is simply screwed on to produce 10x. The 12x50 SE is done the same way.

henry link said:
The 10x42 SE uses the very same eyepiece and prism housing as the 8x32 SE. A different objective barrel containing a longer focal length 42mm objective is simply screwed on to produce 10x. The 12x50 SE is done the same way.

OK, the first illustration I found did not look that way; however, after my post I found another picture that made me suspect what you now confirmed.

A few birding web sites in the US have called the 10x42se the best full-size binocular. One reviewer said it was a binocular to 'base a religion on'. I can tell you that after owning 8x32 HGs, 8x42 HGs, 10x32 HGs, 8x32 SEs and 10x42 SEs, I have kept the last three. For the best view I use the 10x42 SE.

Swissboy said:
I keep reading all this rave about Nikon's 8x32SE binoculars. I notice that there is also a 10x42SE, but this type does not seem to have made it to BF fame. Does anybody know how this model compares to its famous smaller sibling? Or are they even not really "siblings"? They certainly look rather different.

Specifically then, are the 10x42 SE optically up to or better than the top grade porros?

When the 10x42 SE model first came out it was rated as the reference standard for binoculars in its magnification class by the author of the Better View Desired web site. They are very good, indeed. I have owned a pair for over five years now and I think they are terrific.

Having been forced to return my 10x42 Venture LXs due to a loose screw rattling around in the right barrel and marring the lens coating (I had them for ~1 month and loved them, but they were a bit heavy, and there were no more to be had at the time from the place I bought them)...anyway, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on some 8x32 SEs, but couldn't quite bring myself to part with the idea of 10x. I like the power. Anyway, there was a brand new set of 10x42 SEs on ebay at a BuyItNow price of $500 from a camera shop in Texas. I called the place and got them to throw in the shipping for nothing. If anyone's interested in a set they told me they had another for sale at the same price, the link is below. Rod

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50538&item=3814168822&rd=1

RCMann said:
Having been forced to return my 10x42 Venture LXs due to a loose screw rattling around in the right barrel and marring the lens coating (I had them for ~1 month and loved them, but they were a bit heavy, and there were no more to be had at the time from the place I bought them)...anyway, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on some 8x32 SEs, but couldn't quite bring myself to part with the idea of 10x. I like the power. Anyway, there was a brand new set of 10x42 SEs on ebay at a BuyItNow price of $500 from a camera shop in Texas. I called the place and got them to throw in the shipping for nothing. If anyone's interested in a set they told me they had another for sale at the same price, the link is below. Rod

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50538&item=3814168822&rd=1

I had noticed this pair myself and took the plunge. Even allowing for import taxes, and international shipping, I have saved in excess of 200 US dollars over the cheapest UK price.

Blincodave said:
I had noticed this pair myself and took the plunge. Even allowing for import taxes, and international shipping, I have saved in excess of 200 US dollars over the cheapest UK price.

Dave: There's also a Nikon 12x50 SE and many amateur astonomers consider it the binocular for the night sky. If you get all three you can hang them above the fireplace when not in use. A nice alternative to ducks.

Conicidentally, the same place in Texas has the 12x50 E's for $649! They didn't have any 8x32s, though, I asked when I phoned them.

Leif said:
Dave: There's also a Nikon 12x50 SE and many amateur astonomers consider it the binocular for the night sky. If you get all three you can hang them above the fireplace when not in use. A nice alternative to ducks.

Thanks Leif but I think I'll stick with just the 8 x 32 and 10x 42s! Interestingly, the combined price of these two purchases has been equivalent to the cheapest UK price for 1 pair of Swaro ELs!

Having used the 10x42 SEs now for a couple of weeks and having the opportunity to compare them directly with the 8x32 variants, I can confirm they are excellent bins. Sharing the same eyepieces, this is not much of a surprise. Essentially, they both share a beautiful sharp, natural rendition of the subject being viewed but with the obvious reduction in field of view and depth of field. The ergonomics of the bino are, if anything, better than the 8 x32 SEs and they are very easy to hold still for a 10x. Once again, a stunning buy.

Art Thorn said:
A few birding web sites in the US have called the 10x42se the best full-size binocular. One reviewer said it was a binocular to 'base a religion on'. I can tell you that after owning 8x32 HGs, 8x42 HGs, 10x32 HGs, 8x32 SEs and 10x42 SEs, I have kept the last three. For the best view I use the 10x42 SE.

Owning both 10x42SE and 8x32SE series, I tend to agree that 10x42 view is very life like--view of living things is pleasant. Little sister advantage is that she has much larger FOV, thus requires less focus and more convenient to use. Both are very similar, you must switch quickly to detect differences. 10x and 8x mag difference is miniscule, so is shake. Looking at a street sign at 3/4 miles, I am able to read it with either of the binoculars. They are equally sharp and pleasing.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back