• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (1 Viewer)

Hi Andrew,
Just read through all the posts and comments, you have some great sketches here.
I have had a go on and off over the years but have not stuck at it, however your eaxample has encouraged me to get out and have a go. Thanks of sharing your ever improving sketches.

Jim 417......If I encourage anyone, Ill feel I've done my best...Its taken me about 18 months to get to this standard so far and im loving every moment of it.....
Ive had great support from these guys here on this forum, Woody, Nick, Tim, Arthur B and others...a great bunch of people here and a fantastic range of abilities andwith different amounts of years of expirience...This IS the place to be

Now you're really moving on Andrew. This is a cracking composition and the elements from your fieldwork are blending very nicely indeed. Just keep nice and relaxed and don't be tempted to over-fuss this - it's looking really good.

A3 Result

Well, here it is, my first ever large watercolour......And I appologies up front for it not being a wildlife subject, but that is still to come....
I always knew the reason why I never liked doing Buildings, and I can now see all the wrong things here which back my argument, but that said, Ive learnt loads about the process...so onwards with the next one (already posted the WiP).....

DSCN1597.JPG

Even after decades as an artist, I still avoid buildings whenever possible, knowing all the perspective rules still doesn't mean I can actually put them into practice right...

Love the wheatear sketch, nicely composed so far.

I can now fully understand why building are avoided, Even I admit i didnt want to have a go at it, also because the tutor wanted me to do it on A3 size......
And thet fact that you guys also avoid them, tells me that i shouldnt do it again....

as artists we hopefully paint what we love, I really am not in love with buildings the way I am with nature or animals, so maybe that's why I don't do such a good job, that and the fact that I can't draw a straight line with a ruler. :) Bateman's buildings in interiors are quite beautiful.....but he confesses he loves them and old fences too

I'm another who doesn't do much with buildings, especially if they dominate the picture. But it got me thinking about artists who do accomplish something with them and I thought of Winslow Homer and his Bermuda paintings. The buildings are never primary but he does manage to get them into outdoor paintings in such a way that they look real but don't dominate, or take away from nature. In fact I think sometimes he uses their generally white or light color to add some real coloristic brilliance to the painting.

Hope I haven't gotten too far off track here! I was just trying to think of someone who managed to put buildings in their place.

I managed to get some Cracking 'Gull' Shots last Bank Holliday weekend, and with a little time to kill this afternoon, decided to do a quick and loose one....I have absolutly no idea what they all are as most of them were Juveniles and all appear much the same, although some were a good size larger than the rest... all fighting over the shellfish and scraps on the retreating tide...

DSCN1626.jpg

Might be a few more of these to come

superb - using the patches of paint to describe the shape rather than just filling in the lines, a very successful result indeed!

I managed to get some Cracking 'Gull' Shots last Bank Holliday weekend, and with a little time to kill this afternoon, decided to do a quick and loose one....I have absolutly no idea what they all are as most of them were Juveniles and all appear much the same, although some were a good size larger than the rest... all fighting over the shellfish and scraps on the retreating tide...

View attachment 216711

Might be a few more of these to come

Quick and loose seems to suit you! Keep it up. Even if you go back to more controlled work I think that loose paintings like this will give you another perspective on the more controlled work.

I'm the opposite. I have to force myself to stay controlled.........

Wip

Art classes are cancelled tonight, so Ive locked my self away in the spare room, the result - Another 'Gull' painting on the go.
But Im going to not be so loose on this one. Get the ground work done first, and start the layering tomorrow

DSCN1627.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back