• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Monopod? (1 Viewer)

Birder Ozzie

Hi all,

I am wanting to buy a monopod which is light but not too expensive (ideally no more than £50) It would be for a Nikon D60 and Bigma lens. Any help greatly appreciated.

Oscar.

I use a manfrotto 681 with a D80 and Tamron 200-500, it's excellent for this gear and in your price range. Not that light though, but if want cheap and stable for a 500mm lens, forget light.

The main difference between the 680 and 681 is that the 680 has 4 sections, while the 681 has 3. This means that the 680 collapses smaller. They both weight about the same; the 681 has a max load of 26 lbs, while the 680 only 22. Unless you really need to have it collapse a lot, I think the 681 is probably preferable, mainly because it is faster to deploy, and sturdier because of the fewer sections.

The 679 is another option - it is like a lighter version of the 681, with 3 sections and a max load of 10 lbs. It is lighter in weight than any of the others, and the 10 lb max may still be enough for your needs. I have both a 680 and 679 and much prefer the 679, which is plenty for the load I have.

For a head, it seems that the standard 3229 monopod tilting head might not be robust enough (5.5 lb max load). You could give it a try.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back