• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Excursion 8x36 - Advice? (1 Viewer)

Bencw

Hi all,
I bought an Excursion, 8x36, looks as new, with case, in original box, all bits and bobs etc, perfect except for one thing, the center focus knob would not budge. Ok, update, slightly embarrassing, I did not try the obvious, it has a focus lock, however, there is still a problem, it will not focus using the focus knob, it now turns and the diopter side changes focus but it does nothing in respect of the focus on the left optic side, that does not focus at all ? If I look down the objective end, I can see the movement in the diopter side as I turn the knob, but the left side does not move at all. I knew it had a fault when I bought it, I got it cheap, with a view to trying to fix it, nothing to lose really at the price, but I was expecting it to be a problem with the diopter, as I have read this is often a problem on these. The diopter side however is fine, its the center focusing of the left side that's the problem. Now I have some good experience of working on Porro bins, but less so on roofs, so, before I charge in and start messing with it, I would be grateful if anyone has prior knowledge of this fault and any tips on dealing with it. It looks on first inspection that the small cap at the back of the focus knob with 2 tiny holes might be the place to start, however it might be an internal problem and not the knob.

Ben

Attachments

• BUSHNELL-EXCURSION-EX-8X36.JPG
    BUSHNELL-EXCURSION-EX-8X36.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Well, I had a go at this and have given up. Easy enough to remove the focus knob and see how it all works, but found it impossible to get them focused. I mainly work on porro's but have also fixed up a couple of Nikon roofs before, but these beat me. Nothing lost as I picked this one up for peanuts (just £8), but advise anyone who paid good money not to mess with these.

As you say, not much loss and a good lesson?
Shame that they didn't work out. I bought a pair ("as new") on the basis that I like the 7x36. Whilst they shared a few QC issues (including, rather strangely, eyepieces that extended more on the right barrel than the left) and optical qualities, the near focus was around 20ft. They went back. but cost me postage around the same amount that you have lost.

Still learning.....
Dave

. If it is focused on Infinity it could be used for astronomy, maybe using glasses.

Could you cut it in half and use the part with the dioptre focusing as a monocular?

If the eyepieces are any good they can be used in a telescope.

As you say, not much loss and a good lesson?
Still learning.....
Dave

Yep, a good lesson thanks Dave, and like you still learning !!

They came with a new and very useable padded neck strap and the rain guard fits a pair of swift bins I have perfectly, so have something out of them.

Last edited:
. If it is focused on Infinity it could be used for astronomy, maybe using glasses.

Could you cut it in half and use the part with the dioptre focusing as a monocular?

If the eyepieces are any good they can be used in a telescope.

Hi Binastro,

Yep, the diopter half could make a monocular no problem, the glass is all good.
I will keep them as is for a little while, you never know, one might come up with something missing like the eye cups.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back