• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hides? (1 Viewer)

peteh

I am about to get into Digital Slr'ing so have been reading lots of books on bird photography. In the majority of them they spend a lot of time talking about working from portable hides.
Now I am more of a walk about looking type birder, so do not really like the idea of having to work from these hides. Does this mean using Digital Slrs is not for me and I should stick with digiscoping?
Or is hide work not essential to getting good photographs?

Thanks
Pete.

Hide work isn't essential to get good good photographs Pete. Good 'field craft' is just as important. You can also use your car as a hide (assuming you can it close enough to the action!). Unless you're going to spend all your time taking photographs and they take priority over the 'birding', I can't see you needing a hide, just yet.

Hi Pete,
A good idea I saw recently was on the wildlife watching supplies site http://wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk (to which I have no connection).

It's called the bag hide and you can wear it like a cape then slip it over your head whereupon it becomes a hide big enough to cover you, your camera and tripod and a seat. Lightweight and extremely portable. This may be a suitable comprimise?

I might just get myself one when funds allow as I'm more of a walking about kind of guy too. However, it must be said, that sitting still and waiting for the birds to come to you does reap rewards.

Hope this is of a little use as a consideration

Woody

Hi Pete

A hide isn`t always needed careful watching of where your
subject likes to perch coupled with drab clothing or camo clothing works well.

Regards Steve.

Cheers,
I was thinking if I do stop at one point for a while,
would chucking some scrim netting over me work?
I could carry that in my pocket then. (its also dirt cheap)

ta
Pete.

Hi Pete

I went to military odyssey 2003 in Kent this weekend and picked up plenty of scrim net cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else. The plan is to use it as you say. I may even sew some fake foliage onto it to help with the deception.

The only problem with all this is that you do look like a total twerp before you reach your destination!

Woody

Woody said:
Hi Pete

I went to military odyssey 2003 in Kent this weekend and picked up plenty of scrim net cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else. The plan is to use it as you say. I may even sew some fake foliage onto it to help with the deception.

The only problem with all this is that you do look like a total twerp before you reach your destination!

Woody

I am just picturing you all wandering aimlessly round the countryside, not being able to see a thing through the netting and getting scope and tripod tangled up in the holes.... :t:

I definately would not walk about with it on!!!
Blimey people over here would think we were being invaded or something.. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back