• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Universal bracket (1 Viewer)

Raydes

Dinosaur in action
Hi all

Nice forums here still a lot to browse in for me.
Do i need to introduce me here also?
I am going to buy myself a Nikon 4500 that's decided.
But for the adapter issue i am not getting through it now!
I have bin posting a few threads on Yahoo groups and getting good replys on it.
But as far as I understand it now there's seem to be a lot off knowledge on adapters and i will need one.
So i am searching every possibility for this, and came also on 2 other possibilities for digiscoping.
First it was the universal adapter from Zeiss! I saw already some pictures on a Belgium site,but couldn't find anything about it somewhere else?
Secondly it's the universal bracket from Nikon this looks also nice,but also not so much to read about it on the net or forums?
So if anyone off you all Digiscopers and birders have any experience with either of it plesae reply?
I am asking this because i have to start digiscoping with my old telescope Optolyth TBS65 & 20xWW and maybe going to buy myself another scope later if i go along with the digiscoping.
It should be nice if then i could use the same adapter or bracket?
And for the last what's about stability with adapters do we need a sort off extension bracket to shift the scope in better balance?

Last edited:
I have no personal experience of the support bracket type adapters, but have heard poor reports on them.
They are time consuming to set up and are bulky/heavy and expensive. I have the details of the Zeiss adapter and it doesn't look very practical for use in the field.

Unless you have a specific need for that sort of device (maybe a camera without lens thread), I would look towards the conventional tube type adapters... they can attach your camera to the scope in a second or two.

"And for the last what's about stability with adapters do we need a sort off extension bracket to shift the scope in better balance?"

Not too sure what you mean? Some tripod heads (manfrotto 128rc) have trouble supporting a scope with a camera stuck on the end of the eyepiece, the eyepiece end drops down.
See how you get on, you should be o.k. without a balance bar.
Andy

Raydes said:
...And for the last what's about stability with adapters do we need a sort off extension bracket to shift the scope in better balance?

I have not seen either bracket, but if you are referring to an "offset bar" type mount to center the scope + connected camera's center of gravity, then YES. A well balanced rig is crucial to your "pleasure level" in digiscoping. Nothing more frustrating than to see your "tightened" mount start sliding because of (usually) to much forward weight. There are "factory" units available, but most people make one out of aluminum flat stock.

EDIT: I'm referring to a "ball head" mount which is the only thing I have used.

Sorry my reply wasn't finished

Thanks Andy & Jim
I use a Manfrotto 128,I will see later if I have to make a sort off supporting bracket.
Now i know that i don't have to buy one of the two mentioned brackets and only have to sort out wich adapter i am going to buy,I have several options that i am considering 1 the Digimount 2 the LCE adapter.
The one from Cheang's is unsuitable for my current scope i think?and as mentioned i dont' know when (if) I will change my telescope later?
So i just have to decide wich and where to get it.
If somebody has different adapter in mind that i must consider please mail me or just reply .

Many thanks.

Hello Raymond:
I have read your emails and would like to point you to my website and see under digiscoping how I made my bracket to mount my 45 degree angled spotting scope and the camera together. (Nikon Coolpix5000)
All done in my garage at home.
door zetten jonge :)
cheers
Walther Loff
www.walther-loff.com

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back