• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MEGA for Leicestershire: Common Rosefinch (1 Viewer)

davidearlgray

davidearlgray
Hi all, a mega in the form of a juvenile/first winter Common Rosefinch was found and ringed this morning at Thornton in Andy Smith's back garden.
This is the first record for Vc 55 (Leicestershire & Rutland).
Please see the LROS web site for more details: http://www.lros.org.uk/News.htm

Cheers,
Dave Gray.:t:

Hey guys

I went and got this bird today, Was a nice wait which i enjoyed followed by it showing about 3.30pm Andy is a top bloke and THANKS for letting us invade your garden.
Met a friendly helpfull bunch of people who din't critcise nor judge to my amature approach.
Top bird top day thanks a million i am eagrly awaiting some nice pictures to turn up.
Regards
Karpman

Yes, Andy Smith's attitude was great: he and his family welcomed all-comers onto his rear terrace throughout the weekend to enjoy 'his' bird. The tea and coffee was very welcome too.
I hope everyone contributed to the collection for Charnwood Ringing Group.

The garden is closed after today.

Steve

Hello all i agree completly " TOP BLOKE " indeed what a view to come out to every morning cracking scenery
sadly didnt see" His Bird " due to time being limited (missed it by 5 mins apparently)but im sure to go back -Host allowing that is ?
thanks too all concerned
jd

Hey mate.
Unfortunatley think you may have missed you chance, Assuming work/life commitments and the fact he had a few hundred people in his yard.
Stand to be corrected but think he closing after today.
I would pay to spend a couple of hours on his veranda without the finch lol good stuff indeed.

Kind regards
Karpman

Unfortunatley think you may have missed you chance, Assuming work/life commitments and the fact he had a few hundred people in his yard.

While there today, shortly after missing the bird at c15:30 and it not showing again til late evening :-C, Andy said that his garden would not be open to veiw the area during the week as he'd be at work. He did say if he had time he would keep an eye out for it and provide up to date news. It may be veiwable from public areas i.e. church yard or reservoir and if by chance it is still present next weekend he will consider another organised twitch.

Gareth

While there today, shortly after missing the bird at c15:30 and it not showing again til late evening , Andy said that his garden would not be open to veiw the area during the week as he'd be at work. He did say if he had time he would keep an eye out for it and provide up to date news. It may be veiwable from public areas i.e. church yard or reservoir and if by chance it is still present next weekend he will consider another organised twitch.
Nice if he do'es id go again although i got great views of the bird his garden is so bloody nice and livley im sure i could spend a little more time there lol.
Picking up tips of other birders is real bonus of course:)

karpman

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back