• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Porro or ? (1 Viewer)

FJDave

Hi all. I started looking for my next purchase a few days ago. I have Ziess 8x20 Victory but wanted something bigger but with very good view. After much reading I thought maybe the Nikon 8x32 Premier SE might be best although I was hoping to stay under $500.00. Then I stumbled on a good deal on Minox and became undecided again. Now I'm leaning back to the SE's. I want to be wow'ed, lol. I also like the idea of 3D effect. I walk outside a lot through a meadow, by a small pond, through a woods, ect all behind my house. We have lots of birds including hawks and buzzards. I want to look at everything from birds to bugs and everything in between including landscape and maybe even stars. Not worried about water proof right now and size isn't too much of an issue so long as they don't get too big. I also need rugged as they will sometimes ride in glove box or back pack or? Also I want to stay away from Chinese units for now as well. Is there anything else you folks might suggest I look at or consider? I understand one bin won't do everything but would these SE's be a good next step and work well in what I have described? Thanks so much, Dave

Hi FJ,
Nikon has confusing nomenclature ( as does Minox, for that matter). Their Superior E is a porro and perhaps the best optical performer around. Not waterproof, but rabidly admired and extolled, on this site among others.
Their Premier is a roof design, fully waterproof, that was introduced well after the Superior E. It seems though that they also call a porro the Premier SE, hopefully the same as the Superior E. Afaik, they called them HG (High Grade) elsewhere in the world.

You will get a better 3D effect with the Superior E, unsurprisingly, It is a somewhat more difficult glass to find, but you can find it for about $550 at sites such as Adorama

Thank you very much. I'm leaning back toward the SE. I think it might be what I'm looking for. I don't wear glasses so the eye cups shouldn't be too bad.

Looksharp...good one, lol. :)

Thank you very much. I'm leaning back toward the SE. I think it might be what I'm looking for. I don't wear glasses so the eye cups shouldn't be too bad.

Looksharp...good one, lol. :)

Check out the Nikon 8x30 EII. Me like it better than the Nikon 8x32 SE. Bigger FOV and it definitely will give you that "WOW!" effect when you look through them. About $400.00 on E-bay.

I understand one bin won't do everything but would these SE's be a good next step and work well in what I have described?

Go with the SE, if they fit you. Kidney beaning and that. They aren't the most rugged but what's the worst case scenario? You send them to Nikon to get collimated? Not a big deal -and- they will please. I get the blackout/beaning so I went with EIIs.

At the risk of flames, believe it or not, if you can get an 8x32 Trinovid for around that price then bingo! It won't have quite the view of the SEs but it will hang from a strap properly, focus with blazing speed, is waterproof, and rugged as hell. The view is still pretty good as well ;)

I have the 8 x 32 SE, the 8 x 30 EII and the 8 x 32 LX L (North American name) aka HG L (European name) kna Premier after the completely new and much more expensive EDG hit the market. Here is a list of all of Nikons binoculars. Scroll all the way to the bottom to see the specs for the SE and EII. The 8 x 32 Premier is in the second group from the top where it is designated "High Grade." HG L. Are you completely confused now? Don't worry, it's not so bad after all.

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/spec.htm#edg

For your purposes I would suggest that you get the 8 x 32 Premier, or HG L as noted. It is more rugged, waterproof and it's eye cups are much more friendly. And it's optics are also excellent. No kidney bean problems with the view and it has longer eye relief. The focus wheel is much smoother and MUCH faster.

If you want to save some money, you could also consider the 8 x 36 or 8 x 42 Monarchs. They are in the 6th row down.

Bob

Last edited:
Go with the SE, if they fit you. Kidney beaning and that. They aren't the most rugged but what's the worst case scenario? You send them to Nikon to get collimated? Not a big deal -and- they will please. I get the blackout/beaning so I went with EIIs.

At the risk of flames, believe it or not, if you can get an 8x32 Trinovid for around that price then bingo! It won't have quite the view of the SEs but it will hang from a strap properly, focus with blazing speed, is waterproof, and rugged as hell. The view is still pretty good as well ;)

Kevin, are you related to Dennis? :)

bRoCk

I have the 8 x 32 SE, the 8 x 30 EII and the 8 x 32 LX L (North American name) aka HG L (European name) kna Premier after the completely new and much more expensive EDG hit the market. Here is a list of all of Nikons binoculars. Scroll all the way to the bottom to see the specs for the SE and EII. The 8 x 32 Premier is in the second group from the top where it is designated "High Grade." HG L. Are you completely confused now? Don't worry, it's not so bad after all.

For your purposes I would suggest that you get the 8 x 32 Premier, or HG L as noted. It is more rugged, waterproof and it's eye cups are much more friendly. And it's optics are also excellent. No kidney bean problems with the view and it has longer eye relief. The focus wheel is much smoother and MUCH faster.

If you want to save some money, you could also consider the 8 x 36 or 8 x 42 Monarchs. They are in the 6th row down.

Bob

Yes if you decided with Monarch, get the newly released Monarch III with dielectric coating :king:

Kevin, are you related to Dennis? :)

bRoCk

:-O you are funny brock !

Bob

I just have to say the LXl's optics are not in the same league as the other two porro Nikon's. The SE and the EII are probably the two best binoculars optically out there.

I just have to say the LXl's optics are not in the same league as the other two porro Nikon's. The SE and the EII are probably the two best binoculars optically out there.

....along with the Swift 820.....like it or not. But for ruggedness, the SE is without peer in porros, and even many roofs. Since you don't need glasses, the shorter er of the EII, and especially the 820, shouldn't be a factor. The biggest problem now is finding one of them new....

Dave,

You can't go wrong with the SE, but you might try one out before you commit. It can be difficult for some. That said, the view stomps anything else available for $500. Heck, it's at least as good as a $2300 Swarovision, and maybe better thanks to the porro's 3D view.

You mentioned watching bugs and that's one inherent drawback for porros. They won't focus as close as most roofs, and the view can be a little unsettling because of widely spaced objectives.

How good are the SE's? Let's put it this way: it's the only bin I ever bothered to get a tripod adapter for, and it requires a special one. The view is better than you can even see while handholding it. Simply stunning!

Mark

Last edited:
And Brock.....put yer glasses on. They don't look anything alike.....Dennis has a very pale head with a prominent, large, yellow hooknose, whereas Kevin has 5 heads....

Thank you all again...yes, now I'm MORE confused! :-O I looked and searched and am still leaning toward the SE's. The others mentioned and recommended are past my already over stretched budget. The EII's have to be purchased pre-owned it seems. I think for what I want this time the SE's will be great. If they are a bit fragile or too large to carry for something I can always use the little Zeiss pair that I really enjoy actually. Later I can save and go after another pair of something, lol. So, now I need to find the best deal on some SE's. It seems $599 is best so far. Found one at $549 but no stock. Might see if one will price match the other.

FWIW, I remember years ago (probably late 60's or early 70's) looking through something that my grandparents might have had that was just awesome. Everything was so bright and clear and 3D like. They were of course black and porro's and IIRC 7x35 but that is all I can remember. Grandparents and estates are long gone so thats all I know. I really think the SE's will give me this. Maybe not quite what the EII's would provide but I don't think the EII's can be bought new...or can they?

It will be a few days before placing an order (more than likely, lol) so if someone sees a deal please drop me a pm. Thanks again! :t:

Absolute nonsense Dennis!

Optically there is very little difference in practical every day use among the three. Ergonomics and ease of use will often trump the fine haired optical analysis so beloved by those who are blessed (or cursed? Dare I say it?) with eyes that see ALL defects.

I've been using all three of the above binoculars for years. You have to concentrate totally on optics and forget the benefits that using binoculars give you to come to the kind of conclusions you do.

Bob

PS: See the first thread. He wants a "rugged" binocular that he can carry around in a back pack or glove box. Of the 3 above, only the LX L fits that requirement. The other 2 are solidly made but they aren't the kind of binoculars that should be subject to bouncing around regularly. Besides, if I was in fear of damage or theft, I would take the LX L with me before I took the other 2. As I have done on long plane trips.

Last edited:
Either the SE or the EII Nikon will give you a lot of optical pleasure that can't be had in any 8x20 format bin. They are both very fine choices. The SE might be a smidge brighter but if you don't wear glasses the huge field of view of the EII is also seductive. I have recently obtained close-fitting glasses and have returned to the EII's, my first binocular love, as backup to my Swarovisions. I recently picked my pair up from a poster here in unused condition and consider myself very lucky. It's unlikely a real new-old-stock pair can be found in the US short of canvassing brick and mortar Nikon dealers, which is could yield a steal but would be time-consuming.

I've never had problems with the ruggedness of either binocular in many years of use, and I've used them hard. They're not immersion proof, but with reasonable care they'll last forever. Both have been a good deal more rugged for me than the Swift Audubon porros. Both of them feel great in my biggish hands.

I've learned to take Dennis' opinions with a grain of salt. For years he proclaimed it silly to think that those obsolete Nikon porros could compare with the Zeiss FL.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back