• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using scope adapters with filters (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Do most of you use a filter on the camera before screwing on the adapter? If you do, I would be interested in what would be the best all around filter so that I could leave the adapter on the camera as the nikon will be used strictly for digiscoping. Thanks.

Hi K.C. You can use a filter with an adapter..... but it will increase vignetting as it's pushing the camera lens further away from the scope's eyepiece.
On an adapter with a direct 28mm thread, you could probably put up with the extra vignetting, on an adapter with a 37mm thread you will already be using a 37-28mm step ring to get it to fit to the Nikon lens thread.... so an extra filter will makes matters even worse.
If you're intent on getting a protection filter.... buy a UV filter.
Regards,
Andy

Thanks Andy, It's not like I am heck bent on using a filter. I wasn't really sure whether it was a good idea or not. So you have answered my question.
I am going to go ahead and order the adapter eagle optics sells which screws on directly to the nikon lens. It's a bit pricey but it looks like a fairly simple devise.

Last edited:
Is the glass on my 990 not a filter of some sort? the flat piece of glass where the threads are is not the camera lens, which is actually further inside the camera. I figured it was just a uv filter.

You're correct about the front glass of the camera's being just a protective cover. I think this is mainly to prevent dust getting into the mechanics of the lens.... as this cover is fixed and non-removable, it's not much use if it gets scratched.
The good thing with protective filters (uv/skylight) is that they can be damaged and replaced cheaply and quickly by the user.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back