Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 14:59   #1
JAD
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5
Nikon Monarch or Celestron Noble

Okay, I've narrowed my choices for new binoculars to the Nikon Monarch 10x42 and the Celestron Noble 10x42. I need 'waterproof' and 'shock resistant' because I do a lot of my birding from a kayak. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Jim
JAD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 18:07   #2
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
 
Tero's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 8,372
Well, you can't go wrong there. You pick!

I can't think of anything but to see the warranty of both in print. My Monarchs just came with a 25 year warranty in the box, no life time. Mail order.
__________________
humorblog
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/ Blackbirds:https://flic.kr/s/aHskVgyDYs Nebraska birds: https://flic.kr/s/aHskVe3cgw
ABA list: 356 black-bellied whistling duck

Last edited by Tero : Tuesday 2nd May 2006 at 18:47.
Tero is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 21:14   #3
trashbird
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tero
Well, you can't go wrong there. You pick!

I can't think of anything but to see the warranty of both in print. My Monarchs just came with a 25 year warranty in the box, no life time. Mail order.
Tero, the 25 year warranty means you can send it in if it has any workmanship or other non-abuse caused porblems and they will fix it for free. As far as I know, all Nikon binoculars also come with the liftetime no-fault warranty. This means that you can send in and they will fix the binoc for 10 or 20 dollars or whatever it is no what what has happened to it. So really, you are protected by two warranties. The Nikon website should have info on the no-fault. Not sure about the Celestron, but they definitely have the no-fault warranty.

As far as differences between the Monarch and the Noble. The Monarch has a closer interpupillary diameter than the Noble. So if you have narrow set eyes, go for the Monarch. Also, I think the Celestrons may be more ruggedly built. At least my Noble 8x32 is.
trashbird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 02:34   #4
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
 
Tero's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 8,372
Can you link that Warranty info. I never found it.
__________________
humorblog
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/ Blackbirds:https://flic.kr/s/aHskVgyDYs Nebraska birds: https://flic.kr/s/aHskVe3cgw
ABA list: 356 black-bellied whistling duck
Tero is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 10:28   #5
Pileatus
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tero
Can you link that Warranty info. I never found it.
http://www.nikondownload.com/images/...t_warranty.pdf
Pileatus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 13:27   #6
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
 
Tero's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 8,372
Thanks..
__________________
humorblog
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/ Blackbirds:https://flic.kr/s/aHskVgyDYs Nebraska birds: https://flic.kr/s/aHskVe3cgw
ABA list: 356 black-bellied whistling duck
Tero is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 17:18   #7
FrankD
Registered User
 
FrankD's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,365
For what it is worth I have a decent level of experience specifically with the 10x Monarchs. I bought my first pair about three years ago and was astounded by the image quality of them. Ofcourse, the ergonomics are also great but the image itself is what sold me on them. I returned them after about a year (you have to love Cabelas return policy) because of the looseness of the central hinge. I went through a few pairs of other bins not long after returning them but ended up wanting to try another pair of the 10x Monarchs. I subsequently bought two more pairs and returned both of them because of the optical quality. Center field resolution was great but there was a great deal of distortion over the outer 1/3rd to 1/2 of the field. It was disconcerting to say the least.

Fast forward about 20 bins since and I end up wanting to give the 10x Monarchs another go. The distributor for the shop I work for recently started carrying them so I ordered a pair. I know I should have known better with the issue of buying bins before actually handling the specific pair I was buying but the price was too attractive. After they came in and I used them for a day or so I noticed that I just couldn't get the diopter adjustment to the point where I felt relaxed looking through both barrels at the same time. Both looked in focus to my individual eyes but when I looked at them together I experienced a bit of eyestrain.

I was guessing the barrels were out of alignment but decided to see if there was anything else I could find which may have been causing the fatigue. After laying them on a flat surface and spending a great deal of time looking at the complete image in each barrel I noticed that the right barrel had significantly more distortion in it and specifically in the 10 to 11 o'clock position. I subsequently returned them and went back to Cabelas to find a pair that did not exhibit any optical problems. I found that pair and have been happily using them ever since. I tend to believe that I am an "8x guy" but I really do not mind using the 10x Monarchs at all. The optical quality they deliver at that price coupled with their lightweight, ergonomic build make them truly something special in that price range.

Sorry for rambling.
FrankD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 17:42   #8
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
 
Tero's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 8,372
I have not had those hinge problems with any of my assorted porros and 2 roof prisms. Typically, the part that starts to wear first is the eye cup. So if there is any difference, that might be where one is better, the plastic external parts.
__________________
humorblog
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/ Blackbirds:https://flic.kr/s/aHskVgyDYs Nebraska birds: https://flic.kr/s/aHskVe3cgw
ABA list: 356 black-bellied whistling duck
Tero is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 4th May 2006, 02:04   #9
Pileatus
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD
For what it is worth I have a decent level of experience specifically with the 10x Monarchs. I bought my first pair about three years ago and was astounded by the image quality of them. Ofcourse, the ergonomics are also great but the image itself is what sold me on them. I returned them after about a year (you have to love Cabelas return policy) because of the looseness of the central hinge. I went through a few pairs of other bins not long after returning them but ended up wanting to try another pair of the 10x Monarchs. I subsequently bought two more pairs and returned both of them because of the optical quality. Center field resolution was great but there was a great deal of distortion over the outer 1/3rd to 1/2 of the field. It was disconcerting to say the least.

Fast forward about 20 bins since and I end up wanting to give the 10x Monarchs another go. The distributor for the shop I work for recently started carrying them so I ordered a pair. I know I should have known better with the issue of buying bins before actually handling the specific pair I was buying but the price was too attractive. After they came in and I used them for a day or so I noticed that I just couldn't get the diopter adjustment to the point where I felt relaxed looking through both barrels at the same time. Both looked in focus to my individual eyes but when I looked at them together I experienced a bit of eyestrain.

I was guessing the barrels were out of alignment but decided to see if there was anything else I could find which may have been causing the fatigue. After laying them on a flat surface and spending a great deal of time looking at the complete image in each barrel I noticed that the right barrel had significantly more distortion in it and specifically in the 10 to 11 o'clock position. I subsequently returned them and went back to Cabelas to find a pair that did not exhibit any optical problems. I found that pair and have been happily using them ever since. I tend to believe that I am an "8x guy" but I really do not mind using the 10x Monarchs at all. The optical quality they deliver at that price coupled with their lightweight, ergonomic build make them truly something special in that price range.

Sorry for rambling.
Frank,

Sounds like the perfect "sample variation" argument and a justification for buying high-end optics with stricter manufacturing tolerances. As my eyes continue to age, I truly appreciate the precision built into my Nikon SE and Leica Ultravid.

John
Pileatus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 4th May 2006, 11:54   #10
FrankD
Registered User
 
FrankD's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,365
I could not agree more John. Though I think it is good advice to try every bin before you buy I think it becomes even more of a point when the price point starts to drop.
FrankD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpen Apex vs. Nikon Monarch (with optical introduction) trashbird Others 7 Wednesday 12th April 2006 02:55
Busnell Legend Or Celestron Noble 8x32 art92101 Bushnell - Bausch & Lomb 8 Tuesday 7th March 2006 15:26
Celestron regal vs Noble vs Nikon Monarch washie Others 16 Tuesday 20th September 2005 02:01
Nikon Sporter 8x36 Otto McDiesel Nikon 4 Friday 15th July 2005 16:33
Inexpensive Roofs - Bushnell, Celestron and Nikon Bill Atwood Others 1 Friday 22nd October 2004 08:02

{googleads}
£100 Cashback on Opticron DBA VHD Binoculars. Click to find out more.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.15533209 seconds with 22 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:14.