• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with call ID (1 Viewer)

Pete Mella

Getting there...
Help with call ID, South Yorkshire, UK

This is where I attempt to make a description of bird sound and fail dismally...

I was at the Blackburn Meadows reserve in Rotherham, South Yorkshire yesterday, and heard a strange call coming from a patch of trees, quite close by to the path. Whatever made it only made it twice, and the best description was a short noise that sounded like when you flick the teeth of a comb, but with a bit of a frog-like quality to it. I was unsure if it was coming from the trees or undergrowth.

The area is in the middle of industrialisation on the Sheffield/Rotherham border, and has two lakes formed by a former sewage works surrounded by trees. Other birds that were definitely present were magpies, carrion crows, long-tailed tits, coots, moorhens, goldfinches, bullfinches, black-headed gulls, robins and great and blue tits.

I've found a birdsound that it could be, but I don't want to say now in case that sways people in the wrong direction...

NaturePete said:
This is where I attempt to make a description of bird sound and fail dismally...

I was at the Blackburn Meadows reserve in Rotherham, South Yorkshire yesterday, and heard a strange call coming from a patch of trees, quite close by to the path. Whatever made it only made it twice, and the best description was a short noise that sounded like when you flick the teeth of a comb, but with a bit of a frog-like quality to it. I was unsure if it was coming from the trees or undergrowth.

The area is in the middle of industrialisation on the Sheffield/Rotherham border, and has two lakes formed by a former sewage works surrounded by trees. Other birds that were definitely present were magpies, carrion crows, long-tailed tits, coots, moorhens, goldfinches, bullfinches, black-headed gulls, robins and great and blue tits.

I've found a birdsound that it could be, but I don't want to say now in case that sways people in the wrong direction...

I have some new suggestions.

Both Moorhen and Coot do have a croaky element to there calls but...

Have you ever heard the sound a squirrel can make ? One part of it's sound sounds very similar to the comb teeth sound mixed with a frog's croak. It's other sound is similar to a baby crying mixed with the "ark" of a crow.

Hopefully someone can back me up here.

Tim

Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely not Long-tailed Tit, and I'm doubtful about Moorhen or Coot (I know one when I hear one, but appreciate they have a lot of different calls). Squirrel is interesting and will check it out.

Trawling through the RSPB site's sound archive the closest match I'd make is Woodcock, which I know is well within the too-good-to-be-true category. For all I know it was a man behind a tree with a comb...

Pete,

I thought Woodcock when I saw your first post but it's not a call I have heard often as in my experience when not roding they are pretty quiet. I don't know why I didn't suggest it earlier and there's and no reason it wouldn't have been woodcock in the location. There's plenty about - I saw 14 last night - apparently some winters they are our most numerous wader.

Graham

Sound very like Yellowhammer to me. Get a lot of them here through the year and have become used to the call, often given from cover, standard contact call.... Comb description is spot on...

I can see where you're going with Yellowhammer, but it was deeper than that and didn't sound much like a songbird at all. Also it was very sporadic (I only heard it twice) whereas I'd expect a Yellowhammer or other songbird to make more frequent noise.

May have another trip up there and see what I can hear/see. When the snow's gone though, I think...

NaturePete said:
I can see where you're going with Yellowhammer, but it was deeper than that and didn't sound much like a songbird at all. Also it was very sporadic (I only heard it twice) whereas I'd expect a Yellowhammer or other songbird to make more frequent noise.

May have another trip up there and see what I can hear/see. When the snow's gone though, I think...
maybe a mistle thrush???

Greenfinches produce a sound that to me sounds almost exactly like the sound produced when you flick the teeth of a comb but I'm guessing you're familiar with that.
Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back