• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pishing in Public (1 Viewer)

crispycreme

I was reading on some website that if there was one thing to point to when it comes to birder weirdness, it would be the act of pishing - especially in public! However, what I've found is, if you're good enough, no one will know! If you sound enough like a natural bird sound (in our case it'd be a Cactus Wren pish - very alarming to the birds, quite easy to emulate and very much of a "background noise" to humans, i.e. something no one here in Arizona would stop to pay attention to), you can stand in a fairly occupied, if not crowded, park or preserve and make fairly loud pishes without causing strange looks. At least, that's what I tell myself!

So I ask you, do you pish in public? :eek!:

It works but I would caution anyone using the art of pishing during the breeding season. The birds are under enough stress at this time. ;)

No, I'm too self-conscious to do it in front of non-birders. In any case, I tend to prefer my Audubon birdcall - it's more effective (and that's probably more a coment on the efficacy of my pishing than the contraption itself).

Whist basically opposed to artificial birding 'aids', I was very impressed recently to see a birder bring in a couple of Towhees by replicating their whistles.
He did have most of the fingers of both hands in his mouth though.

I don't think "pishing" is a problem here in Vietnam, there are so few birders. I went with a friend recently, and he used an owl call, the results were amazing! And he only used for a minute or so, I don't think that subjected the birds to undue stress.

(DISCLAIMER - This thread is certainly not an endorsement of unethical birding practices - not that that needs emphasizing ((or maybe it does..)). Never cause undue stress on birds, especially during breeding season. Pishing is probably best saved for Fall and Winter.)

Anyway... ;)

I do it - even in parks and other public places if I have my camera with me.

I never realized it caused stress on the birds and will stop doing until breeding season is over.

I also didn't realize it had a name or that others did it. I am just really good at duplicating sparrow chieeps by sucking in air between my pursed lips.

KCFoggin said:
It works but I would caution anyone using the art of pishing during the breeding season. The birds are under enough stress at this time. ;)

Probably no need to worry with my pishing - never seems to attract anything avian!!!!

But seriously a good point.

i have just one problem with this question i am from sunny scotland and here the word pish is used frequently,but it is used in the context of eg "donay talk pish" ie don't talk sh*t so i ask you by pish do you mean what i hope you mean haha!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back