• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen-Ray, My Lucky Day! (1 Viewer)

I'll still be using my little 7x for the woods and lanes round where I live but for outings to the lakes or coast the Prime is going to be my first choice. Thanks again Charles.

David

Sounds very sensible; glad they arrived.

David I am glad you won the 10x42 Prime!

joannec that is great that you were a lucky winner of the ZR HD Prime. I never noticed all of your great pictures on here.:t: I did notice you posted quite a bit to the ZR thread and hoped you would get one. Crimson Topaz [Sam] won a ZR back in 2012. I have lost contact with her. I think she is studying another language. I like her paints and pencil artwork.

David I am glad you won the 10x42 Prime!

joannec that is great that you were a lucky winner of the ZR HD Prime. I never noticed all of your great pictures on here.:t: I did notice you posted quite a bit to the ZR thread and hoped you would get one. Crimson Topaz [Sam] won a ZR back in 2012. I have lost contact with her. I think she is studying another language. I like her paints and pencil artwork.

:t:
Bryce...

You know, you're right!

... is it me or do they resemble Vortex Vipers quite a bit ?

Hi Torview: Given (1) that you have the SEs as your Avatar and (2) that I have those (8x32s) AND the Vortex Viper HDs (8x32s--you're correct: they look very close) to compare to the Prime HDs, this is going to be a fun review--my virtual Alphas (the SEs) and my all weather go tos *(the Vipers) vs the Primes.

So excited to be a part of this thread now! o:D

I look forward to reading your review Tantien, that`ll be a very nice line up you`ll have when the ZR slots in.

Here's a pic of my Zen in the Beartooth Mountains of Wyoming at a lunch break. I think we were up around 9500 ft at the time. After lunch we saw 2 lifers. :t:

Attachments

• zen.jpg
    zen.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 98
At 0 pounds/dollars they must be ultra cost effective.
The company is unknown here, so I would read a review with great interest.

Today is a good day

I look forward to reading your review Tantien, that`ll be a very nice line up you`ll have when the ZR slots in.

Got them today! :king:

And I must say that they are indeed nice. Built like a tank and hefty, with really clear optics. Nice case included as well. And as others have noted, have a distinct "new binocular smell" (OK: they smell like rubber) that I don't recall on the others. I really like the grippy armoring and am hoping that their added weight stabilizes these in actual use. But I already can see me getting a harness for these.

I've taken them out and compared them briefly and I noticed that these are super-crisp with a 3D quality that I did not expect.

Compared to their nearest cousins, the Altas Optics Intrepid EDs 10x42 (Silver-coated prisms) (which are practically identical to the Zen-Ray ED2s) the field flattener effect is definitely better, with a very large sweet spot.

Here's something I did notice when adjusting them: the right diopter ring does not lock (like the Vipers) but is nicely marked and has enough resistance that it probably not move much in practice.

I also liked one thing in particular, the Primes have a really excellent smooth focus wheel (a fact that maddened me about the Intrepids was that the focus was sloppy and had too much play)

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to compare them to a pretty good field. Nikon 8x32 SE, the Vortex Viper HD 8x32, and the Altas Optics Intrepid EDs.

They are lined up here to compare:

The Intrepids are slightly lighter (1 lb 11 oz) to the Primes (just under 1 lb 14 oz). And the Intrepids are 3/4" longer as well. The eye-cups on the Primes are indeed large, but so far with my glasses, I've not had any issues.
FullSizeRender.jpg

The line-up is the SEs at the top (note: eye-cups are inverted)
Then the Vipers then the Primes and finally the Intrepids
FullSizeRender2.jpg

Side-view:
FullSizeRender3.jpg

One thing I have noted already is that the SEs have a much deeper field of field than any of these (and I'm not sure why--maybe because they are the only Porros?).

Let me obsess more later and compare each of these. But I will take the Primes on a cruise in a week and try them out in the real world.

Last edited:
I was the lucky winner in the August competition for Zen-Ray HD Prime Binoculars. I opted for the 8x version. They arrived last Tuesday and I have spent the last five days getting to know them. I am not going to post a technical review; I'm a birder and not a binoholic but I will say that they are astonishingly bright, crisp and clear and they do the job exceedingly well. I bird every day and have used them daily and will continue to do so. The only minor criticism is that they are a little on the heavy side (but probably not for a man) but what I have noticed is that the best build quality bins tend to be on the heavy side. This is by far the best prize I have ever won; as I said, my lucky day!

Joannec,

I am not sure how I managed to miss your original post. I guess the fast pace of member participation on this forum can be overwhelming sometimes. :) I am glad that you enjoy the binoculars and I really appreciate the contribution from you and other members to this excellent community.

Charles

Have you got them yet?

Indeed I have! About two weeks ago.

Like you, I am not an optics expert but more a wildlife observer.

They feel nice in the hands. Not too heavy. Fit & finish is excellent. No blackout problem.

A beautiful view. Sharp, crisp, nice color. Very impressive!

No CA. No rolling ball.

Perfect focus tension and action.

Thank you Zen-Ray!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back