• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings in Sofia, Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

I had a really nice urban birding experience today. I was told that a flock of waxwings is hanging around in one spot right in city centre in Sofia - it's a kind of park but not really - there are loads of buildings around and a huge National Palace of Culture as well (massive thing). So even though it was drizzling and a bit chilly a mate of mine and I went round the whole thing to search for them . Couldn't find them . Gave up. Went to an open coffee place (with a roof!) and sat down for some tea. As we talked I heard some beeping noises . Lots of traffic behind the trees the sounds were coming from so I thought it might be some dodgy cars.... Not so though - that was a flock of waxwings whistling from the trees right next to the place we were having tea at. It was 7 PM and as we went closer to have a look they took off and headed for another section of the 'park'.

Just wondering - aren't these birds supposed to be here only in winter ? Why are they still around even on warm April days (it was fairly warm here if it wasnt for the rain today) ?

Any similar observations from other places?

Alex

Hi Alex,

I had two flybys today near Pontypool, S.E. Wales; there were, I think, about 30 a few miles South of there on Monday.

I guess the winds may not have been right for them all to have moved back to their breeding grounds yet?

Andy.

Main part of waxwings arrive to the breeding places in March and mainly in April, but it's not so exceptional to see here in Finland, that Waxwings migrate also in May to the breeding areas. Probably these late migrants are those individuals, which move so far south in winter season because of food.

Hannu

Andrew Rowlands said:
Hi Alex,

I had two flybys today near Pontypool, S.E. Wales; there were, I think, about 30 a few miles South of there on Monday.

I guess the winds may not have been right for them all to have moved back to their breeding grounds yet?

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Maybe something to do with time zones, but you posted at 1.30 a.m., saying had two flybys 'today' - wouldn't be heading back from the White Hart by any chance? Darn, you must be good, i.d.ing the fly-overs in the middle of the night ;)

Jos Stratford said:
Hi Andy,

Maybe something to do with time zones, but you posted at 1.30 a.m., saying had two flybys 'today' - wouldn't be heading back from the White Hart by any chance? Darn, you must be good, i.d.ing the fly-overs in the middle of the night ;)

Ok Jos, so my TZ's are somewhat flexible ;) - Haven't been to the WH for ages; saw one of our GOS teamakers at the Goose and Cuckoo a few hours before though!

Back on Topic - there were 45 Waxwings in Cwmbran last Saturday.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back