• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planet Earth Live....new series May 2012 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
hi there

I see that Planet Earth live is being trailered a lot at the moment. Even to the point that Richard Hammond and Julia Bradbury appeared on One Show last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWH__DWCb28
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00qj06z

Looking good though I feel myself that wildlife presenters would be more suitable for this kind of show over general presenters

We will see what we all make of this and how the programme progresses. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Looking good though I feel myself that wildlife presenters would be more suitable for this kind of show over general presenters

Regards
Kathy
x

I agree but we will just have to wait & see.

it looks to be a good programme so i will watch it and see.i hope it will be good the adverts for it looks great so lets hope and see if it is as good as the adverts say it is.

hi there

I see that Planet Earth live is being trailered a lot at the moment. Even to the point that Richard Hammond and Julia Bradbury appeared on One Show last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWH__DWCb28
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00qj06z

Regards
Kathy
x

Yes, we all wait in anticipation what this programme holds for us all ;)

I see that the programme starts on Sunday 6th May 2012

Part 1/8 BBC1 19.50pm-21.00pm, and has a write up on Page 55 of the next weeks Radio times

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I will be there. I just hope we are going to get proper presenting and not baby animal soppiness. Mortality statistics demonstrate that the job of most young animals is to provide food for other animals, and there actually isn't anything "wrong" about that - right and wrong simply don't apply.

John

I will be there. I just hope we are going to get proper presenting and not baby animal soppiness. Mortality statistics demonstrate that the job of most young animals is to provide food for other animals, and there actually isn't anything "wrong" about that - right and wrong simply don't apply.

John

Out of luck I'm afraid, baby animal soppiness it is.

Gordon will be on later in the series. In the meantime Hammond is not at all bad but the fair Julia is using words like "cute" ... arrgh!

John

Bradbury going over the top about the bears is the main thing that annoyed me, compare her presentation of the bear encounter with Buchanan's in his series.

And another thing that annoyed me was when Hammond was showing the map of the area and he said something like "don't worry it's not a geography lesson, it's interesting" - come on, just show us the flipping map and tell us the facts, don't act all embarrassed about passing on facts and knowledge!

The individual segments were good - the macaques, tracking down the elephants to tag one, following the lions, but the surrounding bumpf just brought it down several notches.

Surely this is the beginning of the end for regular Springwatch/Autumnwatch?

Schedules aren't big enough for the both of them. Humble has already moved on, Packham getting on as many panel/interview/quiz shows as he can by way of an audition...

This format is now getting too long in the tooth. I switched off from spring/autumn watch a few series back. Both presenters look disinterested and distant from the subject matter. No supprise as they are presenting something that was hyped up as something 'never been done before'. They were never going to live up to the expectations the BBC had created. This was a very lazy attempt from the Natural History Unit and a somewhat cynical attempt to flog a dead horse. Elephants, lions and bears - back on the default subject mammals. How very boring.

Yeah I am so bored of learning about Lions, Bears and Elephants. I would much prefer them to focus on less popular animals and actually focus on something interesting for once.

I am looking forward to the Sea Otters though

Actually what annoyed me most was that only the two presenters were live. Planet Earth Live - like hell it is.

Listening to everyone else's issues - what animals would we like to see instead of the tediously familiar ones? One each apiece if you don't mind.

Wolverine for me.

John

Problem is, Discovery Channel and other US and global networks aren't interested in buying footage of Eiders, or other things we'd be interested in, such as Field Vole (ever seen that on the BBC? Britain's most common mammal? Cornerstone of the British food chain?), Dunnock, or Great Crested Newt. They want big, iconic species, like Lions and Bears, or ones with lots of soft fur and human-like faces, like Meerkats and Monkeys. That is what pays for the expensive filming on location.

Interesting to see Channel 4 muscling in on the genre now, with Foxes Live. I thought that was a bit patchy, but it had promise. I doubt the format will ever really go away, as we've had it for about 30 years (remember Tony Soper's live birdwatching shows?), but I cannot see the BBC filling schedules with two very similar shows.

Incidentally, Bradbury is an excellent presenter, but this is clearly not her 'thing'. And what Hammond brings to the table can be written on the back of his tiny squirrelly hand...

Last edited:
i dont think richard hammond can do wildlife shows he looked very nervice and did not know what to say.but you never know what is going to hapen we have 3 weeks of programmes so it might pick up.i injoyed the bears though.

Could only watch half of it before giving up. I like richard Hammond (not so keen on Julia) but I felt he approached this like his kids tv prog Blast Lab. Not suitable for somethign aimed at a grown up audience (and its scheduling ensured that a while lot of kids would be in bed)

Surely, there are natural history presenters out there, not involved in Springwatch, who could have been involved? The lions footage was good, but the BBC did this stuff better on Big Cat Diary. Even a quick browse through the various 'discovery' type channels on Sky will give you programmes that give the same type of footage without the contrived format.

Disappointing, as I had been really looking forward to it.

Oh, alternative subjects for coverage? Bees for me every day.

I really couldn't see the point of this programme being "Live" from a tent in the rainy season and in the dark!

Given the BBC advertising, I thought it was disappointing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back