• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Songthrush, Wren & Mealworms. (1 Viewer)

helenol

I'm glad to see the songthrush has discovered the mealworms. The wren has also found them, and is a regular visitor; in fact the wren is not at all shy anymore, and comes right out into the open to take the worms, even when I'm standing close by.

A female chaffinch has taken a liking to them. Other takers include robin (naturally), nuthatches - although haven't seen for a couple of days - coal/marsh/blue/great tits, and a couple of blackbirds who are nesting. Oh, and when they can, the damn pheasants! I have to constantly keep an eye out, to shoo them away!

I'm having to spread the worms over a wide area, as there are so many birds taking them at the moment. It started off just a few worms under the bushes, but as I mentioned, none of the birds seem particularly bothered by my presence.

What birds are taking mealworms in your garden?

Attachments

• Wrenthumbnail.jpg
    Wrenthumbnail.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Songthrushthumbnail.jpg
    Songthrushthumbnail.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 127
Two good shots ,Helen.It is a full time job keeping these birds in food at the moment.My blackbirds seem to live in the yard,demanding sultanas.They are very bossy,and seem to think all the food is there soley for their benefit.

Hi Helen,
I haven't put out any mealies yet this year, as I wait for the bluebirds to arrive.
But I have them at the ready and buy them bulk online.
Last year the regulars were the bluebirds, then chickadees, HOSP learned to gorge themselves to the point where I had to change the feeder, Female Cardinal (Male was too shy, even though he hung around) House Wren and blue jay (which is another HUGE pig when it comes to stuffin the crop)!
Feeding mealies is one of my favorite ways to get upclose and personal
shelley

helenol said:
What birds are taking mealworms in your garden?

Hi Helen, as well as the usual suspects (Robins/Dunnocks/Blackbirds), the Carrion crow loves them :eat:
It's not just birds though, one night I heard a 'snuffling' noise and looked outside to see a Hedgehog tucking into some mealworms that the Robins had left. I also had a problem with wasps for a day or 2 (pic attached).

Attachments

• DSCN0826.jpg
    DSCN0826.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 120
Dylan, at my previous abode, I too had a hedghog snuffling around, ended up giving it a small bowl of mealworms everynight!

I'm sure someone else mentioned last year on here, that wasps were taking their mealworms. I did find it quite amusing! Thanks for the pic too.

helenol said:
I'm sure someone else mentioned last year on here, that wasps were taking their mealworms.
It was probably me, I've posted that pic before. I stopped putting the mealworms out for a couple of days and the wasps disappeared.

I saw the thread about the wasps too! My mealworms are completely ignored - no takers at all! I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!

tp20uk said:
I saw the thread about the wasps too! My mealworms are completely ignored - no takers at all! I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!
Blimey David, that is weird, send yer mealworms to me, I could do with some more!

Where are you placing them?

Mealworms

If I Can Keep The Starlings (not To Mention A Sneaky Magpie)from Taking The Lot, Robin And Dunnock Get A Look In. Blackbirds A Little Slow On The Uptake, Will Have To Spread Them Around In Secret Places.
Little Mouse In The Caged Feeder Last Week Munching On The Mealies, Could'nt Get The Camera Ready In Time. Very Cute!
Laura

mealworms

I was astonished to hear that you could feed wild birds mealworms! Then I ran to look it up on google search, and you can buy roasted mealworms and canned mealworms. I wonder if these are attractive to the birds as the squirming ones would be.

I'm glad I read your post to find such nifty information.

Thanks
Kay

Hi kay, glad you found the thread useful. It's rather a big business over here in the UK, buying mealworms and feeding them to the birds, especially in the breeding season when they take them back to the nest for their young. I've heard some people feed them dried worms, which they seem to take as well, but the wriggly ones are the best! Well, I think so ;)

Regards

tp20uk said:

David if the birds aren't interested and you are stuck with your mealworms maybe this is an idea:

MEALWORM FRIED RICE
Ingredients:
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. oil
3/4 c. water
1/4 c. chopped onions
4 tsp. soy sauce
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. Minute rice
1 c. cooked mealworms

Directions:
Scramble egg in a saucepan, stirring to break egg into pieces. Add water, soy sauce, garlic, and onions. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Cover; remove from heat and let set for 5 minutes.

MEALWORM CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. oats
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/4 c. mealworm flour

Directions:
Cream butter well, then mix in sugar, egg, vanilla flour, salt, baking soda, chocolate chips, oats, and mealworm flour. Drop batter by the teaspoonful on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 F. This recipe doesn't have much in the way of palpable insect content, but is an excellent way to introduce others to entomophagy. Even many rather squeamish people will try mealworm cookies, since the cookie format doesn't look "gross" to most people, and since it is rather difficult to actually taste the mealworms, though they enrich the cookie with a somewhat nutty flavor and extra protein.
To Make Insect Flour:
Spread cleaned insects out on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Set your oven at 200 degrees and dry insects for approximately 1-3 hours. When the insects are done, they should be fairly brittle and crush easily. Take your dried insects and put them into a blender or coffee grinder, and grind them until they are about consistency of wheat germ. Use in practically any recipe! Try sprinkling insect flour on salads, add it to soups, your favorite bread recipe, on a boat, with a goat, etc.

Hi Ronald and Helen.

Lol. Interesting idea Ronald!!

Helen - I am placing them in an RSPB "Multi Feeder" which can be used for mealworms. It is hanging from the bird table. May have to try something different!

In our garden the Robin appears to be waiting for us to put some mealworms out in the morning, and then he promptly collects several at a time to take to the bush in the next garden, where his mate is waiting to be fed! Once she's devoured those, he comes back for another batch - several times till they've all gone. She looked rather podgy this morning. Keith reckons she's full of eggs - I reckon she's full of mealworms!!

LOL @ Diane!!

David, you may want to try putting some in a dish and placing the dish on the ground (assuming no predators about). If not on the ground, then maybe on a wall or something. Try that, see how it goes....

Methinks I must give these "miracle foods " a go in my garden, probably one day when my good lady is absent for a while. Though I have to wonder is this the thin end of the wedge, where does it stop? Will the birds be ganging up on me? Are raisins, chopped peanuts, fats, sunflower hearts, black sunflower seed not good enough any more? Will all our gardens be given a three birdtable rating by the local avian populace?

One thing is for sure, I will not be trying Ronald's recommendation! Constantly providing food is one thing - but cooking it? They'll be wanting silver service next!!

Regards,

Hi Helen

Thanks for that. Will do. Some of the seem very lively though. One or two almost got out of the steep sides (maybe they did) !

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back