• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular eyepiece magnifier - Where can I purchase one? (1 Viewer)

Tvc15_2000

I have read many times how some people are using an eye piece magnifier on their binoculars to get a better idea of the resolution.

Where can I purchase one of these?

Thanks in advance

TVC

Kind of expensive, you can use other binoculars as well. Riflescope can be used. I assume you are usiing charts.
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortex2xdoubler

You are correct! I am using this chart
http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productid=1852

It’s a coincidence the eyepiece is made by Vortex!

I am evaluating the Vortex Viper 10x28 and Viper 10X32! Trying to find a $350 binocular that performs like a $2000 binocular!

Doubler looks perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igzpaSI-FYY&feature=player_embedded#!

Thanks
T

Last edited:
Hi John, A quick measure of it [misplaced my caliper] is 43 mm inside diameter. I know it fit the Nikon 10x42SE tight enough I didn't worry that much taking the picture post #4.

Hi John, A quick measure of it [misplaced my caliper] is 43 mm inside diameter. I know it fit the Nikon 10x42SE tight enough I didn't worry that much taking the picture post #4.

Thanks, Steve. Both my SLCs and FLs have 42 mm eyecups so it should fit.
Better a little too large than too small.

John

I have read many times how some people are using an eye piece magnifier on their binoculars to get a better idea of the resolution.

"Eyepiece magnifiers" are just small low power telescopes. The Zeiss Tripler, for instance, is simply the standard Zeiss 3x12 monocular with an adapter. If measuring resolution is your main interest 2X is not enough. Most of the time I use a second small binocular (usually 6-8x), tripod mounted behind the one to be measured.

Edit: I just noticed that the binoculars you are measuring are 10X with small apertures. Depending on your eyesight acuity 20x might be enough for measuring their resolution, which is likely to be around 5 arc seconds at best.

Last edited:
"Eyepiece magnifiers" are just small low power telescopes. The Zeiss Tripler, for instance, is simply the standard Zeiss 3x12 monocular with an adapter. If measuring resolution is your main interest 2X is not enough. Most of the time I use a second small binocular (usually 6-8x), tripod mounted behind the one to be measured.

Edit: I just noticed that the binoculars you are measuring are 10X with small apertures. Depending on your eyesight acuity 20x might be enough for measuring their resolution, which is likely to be around 5 arc seconds at best.

Henry,
Thanks for the tips. If I can get the desired results with another binocular that is all the better and the most cost effective solution. I will give it a try.

T

Hi John, I have a Time & Optics catalog from 2006-2007 and they have the Eagle Optics 2 1/2 extender in there, it says will fit up to 44mm diameter so sounds like that one would work for the full size SLC.

Thanks, Steve. Both my SLCs and FLs have 42 mm eyecups so it should fit.
Better a little too large than too small.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back