• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kevin Purcell? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry link

Regulars will know that Kevin has been a frequent poster of interesting information here for a while, but his last post was two months ago. Hope he is OK. Anybody in contact with him?

Come to think of it it has been about two months since I last heard from Kevin myself. We've exchanged e-mails with some degree of frequency, but nothing for awhile.

I had noticed the same thing - thought it odd by the end of Sept that I had not seen any posts from him.

I am hoping all is well with him.

And what has happened to Brock...

Did he poop in the wrong place and got wiped?

Hope he'll be back too, really liked his posts... most of them anyway :)

Last edited:
Thanks to Steve C and Steve Moreorless for emailing me about this thread.

I'm fine. Just took a backseat with pontificating about optics for a while doing some other things (including birding!). Curiously it gave me some insights into optics that I thought about posting a couple of things this week.

Thanks for the concern. I think that shows that BF is a very friendly place.

Now I guess I have to catch up whilst I'm here ...

Yes, but if you look at his missing avatar and other info it looks like that he has got "reduced".

Yes, what's with his number of post being "0"? There are still plenty of threads here on BF that I can see him butting in (in a good way, of course), but he chose to express his love for lead glass and porro bins in his Astromart ad. Weird.

Sorry but your pal Brock crossed the line in exchanges with admin over wanting to get political on BF along with writing reams of nonsense about aliens or star wars or some other non related subjects.

The final straw was a ridiculous post he tried to make, which was deleted before it could be read by normal people.

We are fairly patient people and don't get involved in the optics forum much if at all, but
on the other hand we draw the line at utter nonsense on it especially when some members are not looking in because of it.

Steve

I really enjoyed Brock's humorous posts and was one of the reasons I kept coming back! A healthy mix of humor, serious technical information, and nonsense...... is human.

Well Birdazzled looks like we will being seeing less of you then, cos he ain't coming back.

Sorry but your pal Brock crossed the line in exchanges with admin over wanting to get political on BF along with writing reams of nonsense about aliens or star wars or some other non related subjects.

The final straw was a ridiculous post he tried to make, which was deleted before it could be read by normal people.

We are fairly patient people and don't get involved in the optics forum much if at all, but
on the other hand we draw the line at utter nonsense on it especially when some members are not looking in because of it.

Steve

That was my guess, since his posts was more than a bit "unusual" lately...

But I also think he added a good spice to the curry of the forum, so hopefully he'll be back in a new incarnation and stick to safer paths.

And now I'm wondering if I count as one of the "normal people". :-O

To many complaints Vop, people not posting and leaving because of his nonsense,we had little choice.

To many complaints Vop, people not posting and leaving because of his nonsense,we had little choice.

Yes, I understand.

I didn't mean that I think you did wrong, if you don't follow the forum rules the outcome is determined by them.

I just wanted to point out I liked his earlier posts (most of them anyway...).

I find that, frankly, ridiculous. You are not forced to read anything, and there is the ignore list function.

Forums are better places with more input, however varied that my be, not less. I found Brock to be both humorous and insightful, without ever being rude or out of line.......apart from the time he was insulted by a certain poster, for about the 3rd time.

Whatever, it's not my forum, although Brock was one of the few that kept threads alive and / or added new ones. I see less interest and activity without him posting here, IMO.

Just want register my sadness that Brock has been removed. I am aware that at least one individual took exception to his humour, but I, and I would hope the majority welcomed his eloquent contributions....... including the bizarre.

David

I do wish Brock would shut up once in a while and just leave some of the threads on topic. But overall, I find most of his posts a positive contribution to the forum in many ways.

I really hope removing Brock was really the last resort for the moderators of BF, and it wasn't something that the ignore list functionality couldn't have taken care of.

I certainly found all the Klingon references (esp. in the past) and all the minimally informed speculation tiresome, but really, removed from Birdforum because "some members are not looking in because of it" ???!!! I dare say they need to get thicker skins...maybe even some brow ridges. Most of Brock's posts were binoculars/optics related, or related (in the grander sense of the spirit of conversation) to the threads they populated. I don't share his sense of humor, but I could see that many of his efforts were quite clever. Really, I can only hope that the behaviour in question was on a different forum (I only read the bino and scope posts) and categorically different from the Brock that I knew here, because I've never found him over the top. But apparently I've got a lot more stomach, or room in my heart, for tangential commentary and absurdity. Considering how trivial, useless, poorly informed, misleading, and redundant most conversation (and, by extension, posting on conversational forums) is, I'm shocked by this action.

--AP

Brock was one reason I enjoyed reading here. As I suggested to him at one point, his signal-to-noise ratio needed some work. His recent turn on a certain very large web search engine was a bit self-destructive, though. Funny guy, though, and I'll miss him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back