• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ashleys local patch (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
As some of you may already know (anyone who checks the bucks bit of county by county, will have seen the web address) I have a website dedicated to my local patch, but for those who don't want to follow the link I will explain about it here.

Or click here

I live in the heart of Buckinghamshire, in the most inland town (not yet a city keeps being turned down) in Britain, which means that as a county we have the lowest total number of species seen. This has obviously affected my patch as the total birds seen there in 2 years is only 93 (including 10 new this year), where I dare say others can whitewash that total. But it is steadily rising. I have also recorded, 3 moths, 10 butterflies and 6 animals and reptiles.

It follows sections of the Grand union canal and the river Great Ouse, and is mainly used for sheep grazing (at the moment, this will be changing soon), it also borders a small industrial estate, and a large campsite (Cosgrove) which means it can be a bit noisey in the summer months :-C especially with dog walkers (my dog doesn't count she doesn't disturb me).

My best bird so far, has been little egret (maximum of three) and I had the first breeding shelduck in the area for 20 odd years, which is good they managed to raise 6 young.

I will update here on the odd occasions that anything noteworthy happens.:t:

Last edited:
Good lord, Ashley-- that's marvelous! Immediately answers about all the questions I have about where to go with patch work. I bookmarked your website for reference.

I went out this morning for the first official go at my Mitsukyo patch, and quite an eye-opener, since I don't normally go there in the summer. Everything's overgrown-- the trees full-leaved and the forest dark; in the open fields, the grass is waist-high, where it is a thrush lawn in the winter. Interesting how much the habitats change seasonally.

I went out this morning for the first official go at my Mitsukyo patch, and quite an eye-opener, since I don't normally go there in the summer. Everything's overgrown-- the trees full-leaved and the forest dark; in the open fields, the grass is waist-high, where it is a thrush lawn in the winter. Interesting how much the habitats change seasonally.

To me that is part of the fascination about having a 'patch'. Not only does it change from season to season but from week to week. And the birds can change from day to day--at certain times of year at least. I personally get as much enjoyment out of finding a new bird for my patch as seeing a new bird for the UK (unless I've found it myself--some hope! :D)
This new Patch forum is a great idea... I hope to contribute to it as soon as I get my act together.
Now to look at Ashley's web site!...

Back again
A very nice and interesting site, Ashley. I have to admit that on my browser I had a lot of trouble reading the bird list--it was all squashed into a tiny panel on the lhs. But it was an impressive list. You're lucky having so much water in your area. Mine suffers from a lack of it. I'll bet it's a great area for dragonflies (my latest enthusiasm!)
Sounds like a great area for raptors, too!

Last edited:
My local patch is quite a long and narrow one, it tis the local canal from the town Basin to Greenway stretching some four or five miles. I walk it every month for the WeBS but also count other birds I see and as Surreybirder says, it certainly is interesting whent he surroundings change. Since last month the bankside growth is so high that I have to treble my efforts to count water birds.

I am very pleased to have found this post, and indeed your website Ashley. You have given me a lot to think about and to aim for. I would like to do a similar thing about my local patch but I have a lot to learn yet. Both in computer skills and Birding skills! Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading your updates and visiting your website.

Nice site Ashley,

I've been in the process of thinking about setting up my own website (might as well use it as I've paid for it!!) to cover my patch - largely to avoid clogging BF with to many similar threads, but just linking there instead.

If you don't mind, I'll keep paying you a few visits to try and crib ideas!!!

Great Ashley, I enjoyed looking at your website, although my browser, too, had a problem with the width, and thanks for summarising it here, sounds a great place to walk and you seem to have a nice mixture of birds.

Latest update - Just Reached 100 species for the patch in the form of Woodcock, haveing a very good year so far, new bird include: Raven (2 flew over), Redstart (first year bird in hedge), woodcock, Willow tit, Gadwall, Water rail and Arctic tern.

Some great records there Ashley, oh if only my patch had a lake or some kind think of the species list go sky high! There was me made up with Canada Geese flying over on Sunday :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back