• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guess Birds like new things too... (1 Viewer)

Silvershark

I bought a new seed feeder for the birds that is pretty much identical to the old one except the new one is a darker shade of blue, but the birds obviously prefer the newer feeder because now they are ignoring the old one prefering to use the nice new one even though both are filled with the same sunflower hearts!

Guess they like new things too...

Hi Silvershark -

I had to chuckle (one of Bill's favourite expressions) when I read that your birds are so obviously appreciative of their posh new feeder. You see, our huge Sparrow flock are a highly suspicious bunch. Whenever we change or replace a feeder, they refuse to use it for at least a week. They swerve around it on their way to the battered old 'safe' feeders! Eventually one brave little fella will tentatively try out the new one, but only alighting for a split second. Then he'll return and happily peck away... and then the shoving and pushing for a perch on the NEW feeder begins all over again. LOL! :-O

Your birds must be more discerning than ours in Belgium...

Have a good evening!

My birds were on it within an hour of it being put out - no worries at all! Now they've ditched the old one, they've used it for a couple of years now and it has always supplied them with seed...and then they dump it like that when a new feeder comes up!

There's gratitude for you! Your birds will use the other feeder again if the new one is totally emptied. They aren't SO discerning!

Cheers! B :)

I not only changed all my feeders but took down my bird table and replaced it (at night) with a bird feeding pole. My birds were on it in less than an hour when they realised there was nowhere else left to feed. It was a great investment because now the neighbours :cat: can't jump up and catch the birds unawares. :D

Eileen said:
I not only changed all my feeders but took down my bird table and replaced it (at night)
So did you replace it at night so the birds couldn't see what you were doing then??? lol!!!! 3:)
Sorry Eileen,couldn't resist!!!! 8-P

Actually that's exactly what I did Ruth ...........!!!! :D I don't care if my neighbours think I'm a crackpot - it worked. LOL

Ruth Daniel said:

LOL!!! 8-P
I wouldn't worry about it either Eileen,my neighbours already know I am!!!!!
Who else gardens and fills the feeders in their nightie??? LOL!!

Now that we are all "confessing" our sins... I have to whisper that sometimes I fill the feeders in my nightie and CURLERS !!! :eek!:
And to think that in the old days I wouldn't even venture into the garden without my make-up on...

Well done Linda!! :clap:
I bet you feel better now that confession is out in the open!!! lol!!
We'll have to start a new thread "confessions of a bird feeder"
Mind it's just as well you can't see through these pc screens,at who's wearing what...or not!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back