• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (50 Viewers)

sorry Mary didn't manage to get any but have seen them at Rutland so will try and get one from their but the one on the Sailing pool as a Mallard coloured head with the main body grey and it has a white patch on the under body and on the tail it has a Shoveler beak (biggest give away) hope you catch it has it's a beautiful looking bird.

The damselfly I have been told could be a Common Darter can you get these in different colour variations.

Female Common Darter I think Adrian.
Rich

Now back to the real world8-P
Moors: the terns as always build you up to knock you down. One of the 2 chicks in the small raft has jumped ship. It well grown but is swimming around the raft. Many years ago we had a similar situation with a tern swimming around its raft. We rowed out to retrieve it but it swam into the reeds. The next day the bird had found refuge on an island and went on to fledge. On the main shingle the 4 sitting birds were down to 1 sitting and the two chicks. All other chicks ok.
tufted 6 broods. Shoveler all 10 chicks ok. Oycs 7 ad/ juvs + unseen chicks being fed .
more later plus Flashes off to see Freddie:t:

I remember Mike and myself rowing around the Moors Pool trying to retrieve a tern chick from the water; we were in danger of capsizing the boat try to lean over the side to pick it up. If I recall correctly we got it back into the raft, only for it to job into the water again! :eek!:

At the Flashes the BHG have finally gone quiet. The majority of chicks have now fledged. Although there are a few birds still sitting on the rafts and also some very small chicks on there as well. The avocet colony are at last all friends again, with large group sorties getting ready to migrate. Although if all goes well we will have birds around for another 7weeks at least. This is due to there being three new broods of chicks. There are 3 in the 'gully' 2 in the saucer and at least 2 hatched today on the 'pipe' island.

Species count Flashes
avocet 36 ( 22 ads + 14 juvs + 7 chicks). Oystercatcher pr now sitting for 26 days so now close to hatching. LRP 4(2juvs). Lapwing 50+( 15 juvs at least). Curlew 23 feeding in meadow. Green sand 11 min. Common sand 3. Snipe. Tufted 10 no teal.

Last edited:
July waders

I have now got hold of a copy of the 1996 annual report to complete my collection (cheers Des B :)) so I am able to finalise the wader occurrences at Upton Warren in July since 1984. Those in bold have already been recorded this month; those in red have yet to be seen this year:

Lapwing - recorded in 30 years
Curlew - 30
Little Ringed Plover - 30
Redshank - 30
Green Sandpiper - 30
Common Sandpiper - 30

Dunlin - 29
Snipe - 28
Black-tailed Godwit - 26
Greenshank - 21
Ringed Plover - 20
Whimbel - 19
Oystercatcher - 16
Ruff - 11
Avocet - 9
Wood Sandpiper - 6
Turnstone - 4
Golden Plover - 3
Sanderling - 2
Spotted Redshank - 2
Curlew Sandpiper - 2
Knot - 1
Little Stint - 1
Temminck's Stint - 1

Bar-tailed Godwit - 1

Species count Flashes
avocet 36 ( 22 ads + 14 juvs + 7 chicks). Oystercatcher pr now sitting for 26 days so now close to hatching. LRP 4(2juvs). Lapwing 50+( 15 juvs at least). Curlew 23 feeding in meadow. Green sand 11 min. Common sand 3. Snipe. Tufted 10 no teal.

Have all 14 juvenile Avocets now fledged John?

Answer to some of questions about the terns at the reserve this morning.
The sitting bird on new raft has been so for 20 days 1 day left.
The bird that had jumped ship is 22 days old. Last year one bird flew at 22 days.
Also last year 4 sitting birds mysteriously abandoned the shingle island after sitting for long periods. At present we have 4 broods 2:1:1:2 and 2 sitting.

Work party today. Cut back overhanging hedge along approach road to out car park at the Moors. The trust own this road and normally the residents pay for it to be flailed this rips apart the bramble and thorn bushes. However we have agreed to cut it from now on. This will preserve the excellent breeding and feeding habitat this area provides.
Paul M also strimmed the whole length of the Flashes path.

sailing pool. GCG ad +3 chicks

Last edited:
At the Flashes the BHG have finally gone quiet. The majority of chicks have now fledged. Although there are a few birds still sitting on the rafts and also some very small chicks on there as well. The avocet colony are at last all friends again, with large group sorties getting ready to migrate. Although if all goes well we will have birds around for another 7weeks at least. This is due to there being three new broods of chicks. There are 3 in the 'gully' 2 in the saucer and at least 2 hatched today on the 'pipe' island.

Species count Flashes

With a bit of luck we'll still have some for the autumn all-dayer :king:

Belated congratulations on becoming a grandfather and to Sue on becoming a grandmother :king::king:

With a bit of luck we'll still have some for the autumn all-dayer :king:

Belated congratulations on becoming a grandfather and to Sue on becoming a grandmother :king::king:

Thanks mate but, Nanny and grandad please Mike, dont make me sound older than I am.8-P
if all goes well Avocets should be with us until early SeptemberB :)

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Greenshank---------------------Green Sand (10)
Common Sand (1)---------------Curlew (23)
LRP (4)-------------------------Snipe (1)
Lapwing (28)--------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Avocet (36) + 3:3:2 chicks. A new chick on the central small island.
Shelduck (3)--------------------Teal (6)
Grey Wagtail--------------------Skylark
Raven---------------------------Little Egret reported mid-morning

MOORS:
Oystercatcher (2)+ 2juvs--------Common Tern (14)+ 1:1:1:1 chicks
Cormorant (1)-------------------Little Grebe (2) + 1:2 chicks
Whitethroat (2)-----------------Shoveler (f) + 10 juvs
Coot (c60)----------------------Greylag Goose (2)
Mute Swan (2)+ 6juvs-----------Common Sand (1)

SAILING POOL:
Whitethroat--------------------G GC Grebe (2) + 3 juvs

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back