Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 17:59   #1
Maffong

Western Palearctic Master list with all recorded taxa

For the WP BIg Year I compiled a complete master list with all recorded bird taxa from the WP. Basis for this approach were the (outdated) AERC list, their own updates (unfortunately very few and far from complete) and the netfugl WP list.
I combined and alligned both lists (AERC common names are hidden in column E and AERC scientific names are hidden in columns G&H). If I find the time I might also add the names of other taxonomies in the future.

Families are highlighted light blue
Species are highlighted lime
Disputed subspecies, that might soon be elevated to species rank are highlighted orange
Disputed species, that might loose species rank are highlighted lime and orange

I also added the categories A (wild bird recorded after 1950), B (wild bird recorded before 1950), C (established feral population) and D (birds of doubtful origin). New taxa, that weren't in the original AERC file are marked with an asterisk.

Furthermore I added Paul Chapman's suggestions for the 'gettability' status of the birds in the WP, ranking from 1 (very easy to find) to 7 (extremely rarely observed) and 8 (extinct in WP)

Currently I'm adding my own suggestions for occurrence status, the reasoning behind each code is explained on page 2 of the sheet. I'm done with all non-passerines and will soon be done with the rest. The shown map is just a rough guideline and not always accurate.
Species where status assignment is somewhat unclear are marked with an asterisk, I'd like to hear your opinions on them (and of course if you disagree with me anywhere else).

While the english and scientific name currently shown are the ones from netfugl, the subspecies names and comments are taken from the AERC list. They are outdated in many cases and I'd like your help to correct all mistakes, that are currently still in the list.

BTW: Subspecies are normally listed from west to east (took me forever to figure it out). However in a few cases I had to break with this to highlight disputed subspecies from their parent species.

I'll try to correct the master list as soon as possible after your suggestions

Maffong
Attached Files
File Type: xls Bird taxa of the WP.xls (590.0 KB, 113 views)
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 19:22   #2
Brian J Small

I realise now that you are following Netfugl, but here are some comments on Reed and Bush Warblers use or discard

Locustella amnicola now generally treated as Sakhalin Grasshopper Warbler - cf Locustella tree http://jboyd.net/Taxo/Locustellidae.pdf and alstrom et al

Lanceolated Warbler form in WP should be lanceolata?

Thick-billed Warbler is not really an Acrocephalus - you could find it under Iduna, Arundinax or Phragmaticola, but it does not really fit under Acrocephalus - http://jboyd.net/Taxo/acrocephalidae.pdf - best Iduna

Likewise Booted, Sykes's and the olivaceous warblers are not really Hippolais but Iduna

B
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 19:50   #3
Brian J Small

Tristram's Warbler is ticehursti valid?

Sardinian Warbler - valverdei recently described subspecies - Cabot, J & Urdiales, 2005

Lesser Whitethroat is a tough one, but one quick comment - caucasica is not part of the althaea group, but within curruca; likewise jaxartica is within halimodendri - see fig 4 in Olsson et (2013) New insights into the intricate taxonomy and phylogeny of the Sylvia curruca complex

B
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 00:11   #4

Spelling should be Podiceps grisegena holbollii Holböll is not German.

Theo
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 00:30   #5
Maffong

I'm finally done with coding of all species. Also I've considered your corrections to the list. Here's the new one

Maffong
Attached Files
File Type: xls Bird taxa of the WP.xls (590.0 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Maffong : Wednesday 11th January 2017 at 13:13.
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 12:09   #6
DMW

This is a great resource - many thanks for doing this.

One small request: could we please have Siberian Tit back?!
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 13:43   #7
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

And also Yellow-crowned Night Heron (no hyphen, as per Black-crowned already), Rock Dove, Grey-headed Woodpecker, etc.

And as already mentioned on the other thread, European Stonechat is Saxicola rubicola (since splitting, S. torquatus is African Stonechat, not on WP list).
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 14:01   #8
Brian J Small

Surprised you did not change syenitica Black Wheatear - 'Shirihai et al
2014 demonstrate that Western Sahara taxon of Black Wheatear should properly be O.l. riggenbachi , not
syenitica as previously assumed, the lone type specimen of taxon syenitica being better treated pro tem as
belonging to Mourning Wheatear, O. lugens (qv ) as a previously unrecognised black-plumaged population;
whether this is a morph or has taxonomic rank is not certain. Egypt Avib.' - OSME list

B
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 14:19   #9
Maffong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker
And also Yellow-crowned Night Heron (no hyphen, as per Black-crowned already), Rock Dove, Grey-headed Woodpecker, etc.

And as already mentioned on the other thread, European Stonechat is Saxicola rubicola (since splitting, S. torquatus is African Stonechat, not on WP list).
As I stated above I used the taxonomy of netfugl and din't want to change anything to that. I might however add another column with change proposals such as those submitted by you here and maybe the people responsible for the netfugl list become aware of this thread and change things on their website, then of course I'll follow along.
Concerning subspecies and comments I don't have such reservations as I know that much of it is outdated and needs revision, so I try to change things according to your suggestions.
For Black Wheatear I hadn't understood your comment, Brian, and looked at HBW Alive, where syenitica is still the name in use and no comment is made about riggenbachi. However with your last comment I now understand better and will change it

Maffong
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 17:23   #10
jalid

Is Sitta (europaea) arctica really a vagrant to WP? It is mentioned in BWP, but without references, probably a mistake.
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 17:40   #11
Brian J Small

Hi Maffong (I wish I knew your real name)

It is a great effort and I do not want to come across overly pedantic. If you are happy I will continue to point a few things out...?

E.g. Nightingale - hafizi should really be golzii, which has been shown to have taxonomic precedence

B
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 17:52   #12
Ian Lewis

The species split by IOC that are not given specific status on the list are marked in orange with the exception of Cyprus Scops Owl.

Quite a number of taxa that are given specific status by the Dutch CNSA are also not marked in orange.

But a very useful reference work.

Ian
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 18:27   #13
Maffong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J Small View Post
Hi Maffong (I wish I knew your real name)

It is a great effort and I do not want to come across overly pedantic. If you are happy I will continue to point a few things out...?

E.g. Nightingale - hafizi should really be golzii, which has been shown to have taxonomic precedence

B
Maffong is actually a real nickname that people call me, so you can just use it as my name, but if you really want to know it, my name is Mathieu

I encourage you to point out all the mistakes, no matter how small they might be. That is the purpose of this thread.

Thanks to all those who have given input so far. I encourage everybody who has knowledge and knows more about taxonomy, nomenclature or status of the western palearctic birds.

I would love to hear more opinions on asiatica Nuthatch. I don't know much about its occurrence in WP, but it jumped to my eye before. However I believed what the AERC list and BWP stated without questioning it...

Maffong

Last edited by Maffong : Wednesday 11th January 2017 at 20:41.
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 20:03   #14
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffong View Post
I would love to hear more opinions on asiatica Nuthatch. I don't know much about its occurrence in WP, but it jumped to my eye before. However I believed what the AERC list and BWP stated without questioning it...
Sitta arctica was split in AERC TAC 2014, but not added to the WP list (Crochet & Joynt 2015) because there are no known/accepted records (even though the taxon was indeed listed in BWP, and appeared on the early taxon lists of the TAC on this base).
Sitta europaea asiatica is a breeding bird in E European Russia and a vagrant further W, but has never been seen as a potential split AFAIK.
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 20:45   #15
Maffong

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
Sitta arctica was split in AERC TAC 2014, but not added to the WP list (Crochet & Joynt 2015) because there are no known/accepted records (even though the taxon was indeed listed in BWP, and appeared on the early taxon lists of the TAC on this base).
Sitta europaea asiatica is a breeding bird in E European Russia and a vagrant further W, but has never been seen as a potential split AFAIK.
Oops, I'm glad you understood what I meant. Then I'll erase that ssp. from the list.

Maffong
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 21:29   #16
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
As I stated above I used the taxonomy of netfugl and din't want to change anything to that. I might however add another column with change proposals such as those submitted by you here and maybe the people responsible for the netfugl list become aware of this thread and change things on their website, then of course I'll follow along.
Concerning subspecies and comments I don't have such reservations as I know that much of it is outdated and needs revision, so I try to change things according to your suggestions.
For Black Wheatear I hadn't understood your comment, Brian, and looked at HBW Alive, where syenitica is still the name in use and no comment is made about riggenbachi. However with your last comment I now understand better and will change it

Maffong
Appreciate that; but the Stonechat case is just as relevant as the Black Wheatear case - to give it as Saxicola torquatus is to treat African and European Stonechats as conspecific, which their English naming shows is not their intention. It is clearly an error of accidental retention of the scientific name for the broad sense, when they should have adopted the scientific name for the narrow sense.
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 23:16   #17
Brian J Small

Hi Mathieu

This may have been answered before, but could you please give me an idea of what you are using as the limits of the WP in the Middle East?

Is there a map I could look at?

Thanks

B
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 00:28   #18
Maffong

I want to try and follow the netfugl definition that can be found here, I think the same boundaries are used by Club300 germany.

However as subspecies information was taken by AERC that is probably following BWP boundaries, I'm not sure where that differs from the netfugl map
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 00:42   #19
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
However as subspecies information was taken by AERC that is probably following BWP boundaries, I'm not sure where that differs from the netfugl map
There are no differences - the Netfugl and Club300 limits are the same as in BWP.
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 09:04   #20
Brian J Small

Could Amur Wagtail M. A. leucopsis be added to White Wagtail? cf http://www.birdingworld.co.uk/images/AmurWagtail.pdf

B
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 09:24   #21
Brian J Small

Paddyfield Warbler - 'capistrata' is a dubious subspecies and appears (like 'brevipennis') to have been named by Severtsov from worn and faded specimens; agricola is really the form that occurs in the northern part of the Caspian Sea and then east across Asia. cf Reed & Bush Warblers, Kennerley & Pearson

B
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 22:42   #22
Maffong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J Small View Post
Paddyfield Warbler - agricola is really the form that occurs in the northern part of the Caspian Sea and then east across Asia. cf Reed & Bush Warblers, Kennerley & Pearson

B
HBW Alive also situates septimus in the WP and agricola in central Asia. Could you elaborate for me on this topic?

Maffong
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 22:44   #23
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

From IOC:

Paddyfield Warbler Acrocephalus agricola (Jerdon, 1845) EU : c
A. a. agricola (Jerdon, 1845) Kazakhstan and ne Iran through c Asia to Mongolia and wc China
A. a. septimus Gavrilenko, 1954 e Europe to Ukraine and w Kazakhstan
Old Thursday 12th January 2017, 23:44   #24
l_raty
laurent raty

H&M4 has a footnote to septimus, reading:
Quote:
Recognition based on molecular evidence of Leisler et al. 1997 [2047]; see Kennerley & Paerson 2010 [1175].
Leisler, Heidrich, Schulze-Hagen, Wink. 1997. Taxonomy and phylogeny of reed warblers (genus Acrocephalus) based mtDNA sequences and morphology. J Ornithol 138:469-496. [pdf]
Quote:
In this study, two apparent haplotypes differing by 4.5% were detected within agricola; one sample originated from Crimea (a. septimus), the other from Lake Alakol, Kazakhstan (a. agricola).
Kennerley, Pearson, Small. 2010. Reed and bush warblers. Christopher Helm, London.
Quote:
GEOGRAPHIC VARIATION Two races are recognised. Differences in adult plumage colour have been described for birds breeding around the Black Sea, which Gavrilenko (1954) considered sufficiently distinct to treat as a separate race, which he named A. a. septima. These differences are slight and apparently depend on freshness of feathering (see Identification and Description) rather than geographical variation. Since Paddyfield Warbler is highly variable in appearance, there appear to be no consistent differences in either plumage coloration or measurements between A. a. septima in E Europe and W Asia and nominate agricola from C Asia.
A. a. agricola (Caspian and Aral Seas to W Mongolia and NW China, Tajikistan, E Iran and N Afghanistan) Described above.
A. a septima (Black Sea coast from Bulgaria and Romania to S Ukraine) Although averages slightly warmer than nominate agricola, we consider this race to be inseparable on plumage and structure from the nominate form (see Taxonomy and Systematics below). Vocalisations have not yet been studied in detail and playback may provide distinctions.

TAXONOMY AND SYSTEMATICS [...] Leisler et al. (1997) examined the cytochrome b DNA sequences from a range of Acrocephalus species and [...] investigated the genetic divergence between Paddyfield Warblers from Crimea and those of E Kazakhstan, and discovered a 4.5% sequence divergence between them. Such a significant difference is usually associated with taxa that have diverged to such an extent that they are treated as distinct species. Sangster (1997) supported their findings and suggested that A. a. septima may be a cryptic species. Until further studies which investigate vocalisations and behaviour of European and Asian birds are published, we have retained septima as a race of Paddyfield Warbler but recognise that this position may change in the future.
However, more recent and more extensive data have shown that the genetic divergence detected by Leisler et al 1997 doesn't exist, see [here].

Last edited by l_raty : Thursday 12th January 2017 at 23:47.
Old Friday 13th January 2017, 00:44   #25
l_raty
laurent raty

I went through the whole list and compared it to AERC documents, which resulted in the notes below.
(I did not try hard to check whether each listed taxon has been recognised recently by authorities or not, or whether it had particular issues associated to it. I did note the cases that I knew of systematically, however.)

Genus level
Not sure that this is of any importance to you but, in the following cases, the treatment in the hidden columns G-H arguably departs from the most recent "AERC scientific names" in terms of generic treatment:
  • In recent lists, the AERC names of Mesophoyx intermedia and Casmerodius albus have been returned to Egretta intermedia and E alba -- a clearly incorrect treatment, which actually represents a status quo from Voous and reflects a lack of agreement about what the change should have been. (Placing both taxa in Ardea seems to be the most popular option currently and may be the most sensible thing to do; this might end up problematic for the continued recognition of Bubulcus at some point, however.)
  • The AERC name of Francolinus bicalcaratus is Pternistis bicalcaratus as per AERC TAC 2014.
  • In recent lists, the AERC name of Crecopsis egregia has been Crex egregia. (This species had no defined 'initial status' in the AERC system, as it was not listed by Voous, nor in BWP. The change reflects indecision more than any type of evidence.)
  • The AERC name of Lunda cirrhata is Fratercula cirrhata as per AERC TAC 2011.

Species level
The following taxa were never recognised as distinct species by AERC; the treatment in the hidden columns G-H arguably departs from "AERC scientific names":
  • Oceanodroma jabejabe and O monteiroi (AERC name: O castro [monotypic as per BWP]).
  • Circus hudsonius (AERC name: C cyaneus).
  • Porphyrio madagascariensis and P caspius (AERC name: P porphyrio).
  • Sternula antillarum (AERC name: S albifrons).
  • Galerida macrorhyncha (AERC name: G cristata).
  • Pycnonotus leucotis (AERC name: P leucogenys).
These have been split by AERC; the treatment in columns G-H-I does not reflect the split:
  • Anhinga rufa (African Darter, in WP) split from A melanogaster (now Oriental Darter, extralimital) by AERC TAC 2014.
  • Aquila hastata (extralimital) split from A pomarina (in WP) by AERC TAC 2014. The split makes A pomarina monotypic: the ssp might be best deleted.
  • Riparia diluta (extralimital) split from R riparia by AERC TAC 2011. Ssp diluta was cited in BWP and included on this base in early AERC taxon lists, but there are in fact no confirmed records: the taxon might be best deleted from the list (just like Sitta arctica).
  • Tarsiger rufilatus (Himalayan Bluetail, extralimital) split from T cyanurus by AERC TAC 2014. The split makes T cyanurus monotypic: the ssp might be best deleted.
Species name issues:
  • The AERC name of Streptopelia roseogrisea was changed to S risoria by AERC TAC 2011.
  • The AERC name of Moltoni's Warbler is Sylvia subalpina, not S moltonii, as per AERC TAC 2014.
  • There are problems in the list with the scientific names of Phylloscopus tenellipes and Ph borealis.

Subspecies level
Subspecies level classification:
  • Plegadis falcinellus: almost universally treated as monotypic nowadays, I believe.
  • Grus grus: ssp lilfordi appears to be but a part of a cline; its validity is questioned by Russian workers; it is not recognised any more by IOC, who treat the species a monotypic.
  • Sterna bengalensis: BWP synonymized Mediterranean emigrata with Australasian torresii, but this is not widely accepted and emigrata is more often recognised. (There is apparently an real disagreement among sources about how torresii looks, BWP claiming it paler than nominate (like emigrata), while many other authors claim it darker.)
  • Motacilla citreola: BWP synonymized werae, which is now generally recognised as distinct. Breeds from Poland and N Ukraine, E to Xinjiang, S of citreola.
  • Sylvia cantillans: sspp ranges: iberiae Iberia and Southern France; cantillans S Italy and Sicily. The other two are OK.
  • Phylloscopus borealis: treated as monotypic by AERC as per AERC TAC 2014 (kennicotti synonymized with nominate; examinandus and xanthodryas split). This is not what H&M4 and IOC do, however.
  • Lanius collurio: nowadays most often treated as monotypic (kobylini synonymized with nominate - e.g. H&M4, IOC).
  • Lanius excubitor and L meridionalis: the taxonomy is outdated. L meridionalis should be monotypic, as it is close to none of the other taxa listed as its conspecifics. BirdLife treats all the other cited sspp, to the exception of sibiricus, as part of Lanius excubitor -- there are other possible options, but these would require more splitting, i.e., adding species to the Netfugl list. sibiricus is close to American borealis (not listed, but vagrant to the Azores) -- these together are more often seen as a distinct species (Northern Shrike L borealis) nowadays.
Recently described sspp not in the list (I'm not advocating accepting all of them):
  • Neophron percnopterus: a new ssp majorensis was described in 2002 from the Canary Islands. Recognised in main checklists.
  • Alectoris chukar: a new ssp asoica was described in 2010 from Iraq. I've not seen it recognised anywhere else, and the name has nomenclatural problems (the whereabouts of the holotype are not specified, while this is required by the Code after 1999).
  • Grus grus: a new form Grus (grus) archibaldi was described in 2008 from Transcaucasia (Armenia). Not widely recognised in the western literature, but Russian workers seem to think of it as a good ssp of Grus grus (better than lilfordi).
  • (Riparia riparia: a new ssp sibirica was described from Siberia in 2012. Breeding range lies entirely outside WP, I think; but extends W to Urals, so presumably a potential visitor to the region. Not recognised by H&M4 or IOC.)
  • Erithacus rubecula: a new ssp marionae was described from Gran Canaria in 2015. Not recognised elsewhere.
  • Turdus pilaris: a new ssp glacioborealis was described from Чува́шская Респу́блика, central Russia (in WP), in 2005. Not recognised elsewhere.
  • (Sylvia melanocephala: Brian has already noted it above, a new ssp valverdei was described from W Sahara in 2005; I just wanted to add a word of caution, as the recognition of this taxon is not universal -- it is accepted by IOC, but was explicitly synonymized with nominate in H&M4. Why they did so is not clear, however; they cited Aymí & Gargallo 2006 [= HBW 11], but these authors actually did recognise the spp.)
  • Sylvia hortensis: a new ssp cyrenaicae was described from Libya in 2012. Recognised in H&M4 and by IOC.
  • Regulus regulus: a new ssp ellenthalerae was described from La Palma, Canary Is, in 2006. Recognised in H&M4 and by IOC.
  • Cyanistes teneriffae: a new ssp hedwigii was described from Gran Canaria in 2008. Recognised in H&M4; recognised but called hedwigae by IOC.
  • Fringilla coelebs: a new ssp harterti was described from Libya in 2015. Recognised by IOC. (Too recent for H&M4.)

Spelling and gender agreement issues
  • The AERC name of Pernis ptilorhyncus is P ptilorhynchus as per AERC TAC 2012.
  • The AERC name of Aquila pennata and A fasciata should not be A pennatus and A fasciatus.
  • The AERC name of Hydrocoloeus minutus should not be Hydrocoloeaus minutus.
  • The AERC name of Onychoprion aleuticus and O fuscatus should not be O aleutica and O fuscata (AERC TAC 2010).
  • The AERC name of Ixoreus naevius should not be I naevia.
  • The AERC name of Sylvia ruppeli should not be S rueppeli (AERC TAC 2012).
  • Pyrrhula pyrrhula europoea should be P p europaea (this is the original spelling).

A few potential distribution/status issues
(Largely off the top of my head, certainly incomplete, some may be about birds not [yet] accepted.)
  • Butorides striata: birds found breeding in recent years, in the Nile valley in Egypt (Luxor area), appear to be Afrotropical ssp atricapilla.
  • Ardea alba egretta: vagrant to the Azores. I also suspect you'd find records of A i intermedia (Israel?), should you look for them. (The three Intermediate Egrets are split by BirdLife, so this is significant.)
  • Branta hutchinsii minima: is there really a cat C population of this taxon in the WP ?
  • Milvus migrans parasitus: can't remember how this taxon ended up on the list either... Does anyone know? It is not listed in BWP. Vagrant on Cabo Verde? Resident Black Kites there are migrans.
  • Larus (canus) brachyrhynchus: vagrant to the Azores.
  • Hirundo rustica erythrogaster: vagrant to the Azores.
  • Lanius excubitor borealis: vagrant to the Azores.
  • Zonotrichia leucophrys gambelli: vagrant to the Azores.

Sequence
  • Obviously you inherited this from Netfugl, but having one of two Netta spp listed in the middle of the genus Aythya is a bit, well, unusual. (Even though it might quite easily be phylogenetically correct, actually. )

Last edited by l_raty : Friday 13th January 2017 at 11:27.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: