Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 4th January 2011, 06:56   #1
balex78

Gull ID , Italy

Hello,

I digiscoped this gull on a lake here in north western Italy on 12/30/2010.
I would identify it as a Lesser black backed gull ssp intermedius or dutch integrade...Is that correct?

There's something strange about this bird though..Shouldn't winter individual have some dark and clearly visible streakings on head?? This bird's head is completely white and clean!

Could it be a Larus fuscus fuscus (Baltic gull) ???

here's the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48743015@N03/5309509548/

thanks to all in advance
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC300043.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	301809  
Old Tuesday 4th January 2011, 19:12   #2
tittletattler

Quote:
Originally Posted by balex78 View Post
Hello,

I digiscoped this gull on a lake here in north western Italy on 12/30/2010.
I would identify it as a Lesser black backed gull ssp intermedius or dutch integrade...Is that correct?

There's something strange about this bird though..Shouldn't winter individual have some dark and clearly visible streakings on head?? This bird's head is completely white and clean!

Could it be a Larus fuscus fuscus (Baltic gull) ???

here's the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48743015@N03/5309509548/

thanks to all in advance
Alex
Hi Alex,

From early December onwards, a few Lesser Black-backeds here in SE England start to attain a white headed appearance as they lose their streaks. Now, I have quite a lot locally which look like your bird. Your bird is quite dark so I'd guess it's an intermedius but I find it very hard to tell.

What is interesting is that the most of the primary tips appear dark. I wonder what the reason for that is?

Cheers,

Andy.
Old Tuesday 4th January 2011, 21:37   #3
mäkpe

Can't see why this couldn't be fuscus. Though it impossible to be sure ofcourse.

Latest (Finnish) lifers: Sardinian Warbler, Stilt Sandpiper, Lesser Canada Goose, Fox Sparrow
Old Tuesday 4th January 2011, 21:37   #4
lou salomon
the birdonist

it's not excluded that this is a nominate fuscus. but could be intermedius though. primary tips? - either a 4 cy intermedius or an adult fuscus with worn off white tips (remember that fuscus usually suspends moult until arrival in tropical wintering grounds so these would be old primaries. maybe an indice that it is nominate fuscus - but impossible to separate from black mantled intermedius.
Old Tuesday 4th January 2011, 22:33   #5
tittletattler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou salomon View Post
remember that fuscus usually suspends moult until arrival in tropical wintering grounds so these would be old primaries. maybe an indice that it is nominate fuscus - but impossible to separate from black mantled intermedius.
Thanks Lou. That's useful to know!

Cheers,

Andy.
Old Wednesday 5th January 2011, 07:46   #6
balex78

Thanks a lot guys. I initially thought of fuscus ssp also because of the slender and long bill (an intermedius individual generally has a shorter bill), the long primary projection and the slender general build of the bird!
Could these characters also point towards a Larus fuscus fuscus?

Thanks
Alex
Old Wednesday 5th January 2011, 11:56   #7
Lappkrabben

Living in northern Sweden we allmost only have fuscus. Some ssp Heuglini? and some Intermedius as well seen in spring up here.

Alex, your bird could be a fuscus but you can´t be 100% sure to exclude a dark intermedius. Shape is not useful. Back-colour is often difficult to judge on pictures as it often differs depending on the angle. Back-colour looks dark with a greyish tone that´s within the range of fuscus (and Intermedius) IMO.

Gallery; http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...0/ppuser/67965
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: