• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

oh and (1 Viewer)

rose taylor

I know we're used to hearing robins singing through the night, but early this morning I'm sure I could hear a thrush (no sure which flavour!) Never heard a thrush singing in the dark before. And it was raining so I didn't hold out musch hope for getting the washing out. But luckily the rain cleared and it's been a glorious day.
Happy days (again)
Rose.

Hi Rose
Years ago, I was frightened to death by a mistle Thrush bursting into song behind me, as I waited in the dark for a lift very early one morning.

George

oh sorry George I shouldn't laugh!!! The other morning while it was still dark, but light enough to see where I was going (if you see what I mean) I went to fill the feeder at the top of the garden and a frog leapt out from the undergrowth and crossed the gravel in front of me. Scared the living daylights out of me!!!
Rose

Have been hearing a lot of thrushes on my walk to work, around a quarter past seven in the morning in the dark I've heard Mistle Thrushes in the park as well as the usual Robins plus now I'm hearing the odd Blackbird (gorgeous!) and have found four Song Thrushes starting to sing regularly each morning in the dark, two not far apart on one street and two more in the park just around the corner. They seem to have favoured perches, each day I've heard them in the same spots. Also in the dark there am hearing Wrens singing, Woodpigeons, Herring Gulls, House Sparrows and Magpies.

Things are getting going again for the new year.

Many years ago,a barn owl used to hunt silently along an ancient hedge near my home,I requently went to tis hedge at dusk and stood in one of the many gaps and just waited for it to appear.Now, if it came towards me, it saw me and screamed but i expected that.If it came from behind I didn't see it coming and jumped out of my skin when it screamed. It used to cheer me up after a bad day.The silence of the barn owl in flight is is almost unbelievable.
Now that I'm going blind ,the songs and contact calls of birds
are often the only way I'm aware of their presence. Bless them for that. I know that spring is on it's way.

maurice

Maurice, I had as a Christmas present a gadget called Remembird. It is an audio recording device and field guide. You can upload the sounds to your computer. I'm thinking how brilliant it will be to record things like Cuckoo and Nightingale then listen to them during the dark winter days, knowing that it is a bird that you heard yourself. Mind you, I haven't figued out how it all works yet!

Pat

Pat.Thank you for the info. on recording gadget.It sounds like a great idea to have your "personal birds" on record but, it would not be for me but you were not to know that.
There is a moment in time when you see/hear/photo. a bird that you regard it as
"your bird" but this disappears when you notice a ring or tag on it.Your personal song would be fine.

maurice. An old git with elec.w/chair going rapidly blind and deaf.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back