• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Stratford upon Avon (1 Viewer)

dvc214

Bald Human
Hi,

Just registered, got into birding in June and am HOOKED, visited Sandwell Valley RSPB, Higham Woods RSPB. The Welcombe Hills just North of Stratford are good for tits finches woodpeckers thrushes crows etc., also 'The Greenway' follows the path of the old railway it starts just South of Stratford and carries on to Long Marston, seen nuthatch, whitethroat, (garden warbler?), 2 x little owl, buzzard, crows, magpies, tits, finches, heard green woodpecker, house martins, swallows, starlings, linnet, house sparrows, canada geese, moorhens, mallards, blackbird, song thrush.

Would be glad to touch base with other local birders.

Dave

dvc214 said:
Would be glad to touch base with other local birders.

Dave

Hi Dave

A warm welcome to Birdforum. I'm sure you will enjoy your time here as there is plenty to do.

Regarding touching base, I might take you up on that shortly. I only live in Leamington Spa. Are you looking to stay local or are you up to joining me on places like Norfolk etc.

Initially I'd like to stay fairly local until I feel like I've got my 'birders feet under the table'. I've not yet gone out with another birder so I'd appreciate any help offered. Let me know where and when you're off out and I'd quite like to come with. Would you be interested in coming along to my local patch? You may be able to give me some tips.

I should be able to do something local fairly soon. I have plans this weekend that are taking me a fair way from here but I will see what can be organised in the next few weeks. My problem is that this is the busy reverse migration time and I could find myself shooting off all over the place so my plans are very fluid at the moment.

BTW where do you class as your local reserve?

dvc214 said:
See above!

I'd appreciate any help on offer.

Cheers

I must admit that I don't know Higham Woods and I wouldn't class Sandwell Valley as being local to you. I have never heard of the others you have mentioned either.

I can see that I am going to have to organise trips to take you to the likes of Upton Warren, near Droitwich, and Brandon Marsh, near Coventry plus maybe the Wyre Forest at Bewdley where Dippers can be seen. There is also RSPB Otmoor just outside of Oxford but perhaps that would be a better place next year once spring/summer has arrived.

There are quite a few more places I can think of but those would possibly do for now.

I would still consider possibly a day out in Norfolk as it can be a real eye opener to a newcomer to birding especially when winter arrives and Norfolk is covered with masses of wintering geese. The many skeins of geese flying around is a spectacle to behold.

OK sounds great, let me know when and I'll see if I can come. To be honest I find geese and ducks etc a bit daunting, I feel like I'm only just starting to get the hang of woodland birds!

To be honest Dave, even if you don't know one goose from another the spectacle alone will excite you. Seeing thousands of honking geese flying over head, or watching thousands of geese on the ground is something a newcomer to birding will always remember.

I will certainly be going before the end of the year. I always start the year off in Norfolk also but I tend to sleep over in the car then to maximise coverage of Norfolk and Suffolk.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back