• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Zoom /T mount (1 Viewer)

mayoayo

I wanted to attach my olympus micro4/3 to the Baader Hyperion zom,to do some photography using spotting scopes.There are a number of ways to couple a reflex or Micro4/3 to a scope..I guess it is possible to use a camera adapter between the scope and the camera,no eyepiece-no camera lens,..or you can use an eyepiece and a camera lens,afocal style ,or you can use the eyepiece of the scope directly to the camera.I have lenses and eyepiece,so i can try the digiscoping afocal route,but i dont have a suitable platfrom or digiscoping universal adapter,so for now,and since i have a Tmount adapter for the camera,I decided to go the eyepiece-direct-to camera route...The Baader zoom has a large eyerest assembly,pull-push style,screwed to the main eyepiece body onto a 43mm thread(Baader propietary)....a small rubber eyerest is also supplied.....I was going to buy the Baader 43mm to Tmount adapter,to fix the eyepiece to my camera..obvious way to go, but i found a good use for the large eyecup,since i actually prefer to use the lighter,smaller and eyeglass friendlier rubber eyecup.
The large eyerest assembly is made of aluminum ,with a plastic piece inside that makes the push-pull motion to raise and lower the eyerest..It screws directly into the eyepiece,in that 43 mm thread i mentioned,..before engaging the thread ,it slips on and off in the most precise manner,though....I found that taking apart the top plastic piece of the eyecup leaves a ledge that can be directly attached to the olympus T mount adapter..the olympus tmount adapter is an extension tube that holds a t-ring with three little prisoner screws..loosening the screws you can remove the t ring,AND THE APERTURE IS THE SAME DIAMETER AS THE EYECUP WITHOUT THE RUBBER TOP...insert the eyecup on the adapter,tighten the three screws and now you can insert the camera on the Zoom with a perfect fit..it goes in more than an inch and you dont even need to use the threads..just sits there and you can rotate the camera...just perfect...and included in the price,,,.(.not that I would mind to pay another 25 dollars plus shipping for the Baader T mount adapter..:smoke:,..)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back