• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitethroat or Lesser Whitethroat? (1 Viewer)

My opinion would be a lesser due to the stance of the bird.wings folded onto the tail.the tail doesnt look that big either. a pity the colours are not aparent
with the shadows on it but that would be my guess

keith

I tend to go with Common rather then Lesser.
The contrast of the white throat is one thing and I think you can see a bit of a rusty colour on the wings ?

I also have to say common, the head being in shadow does give it that lesser look, but for all the reasons above it is a common whitethroat.

In contrast my gut reaction on the thumbnail was Lesser - just on the apparent structure (doesn't look overly long ended). I'm not sure you can read anything into the colours.

I wouldn't bet too much on it though!

Hi When I first saw the photo i thought straight away Lesser Whitethroat but the wings look very brown maybe the sunlight not 100% but it still looks like a Lesser to me

Thanks everyone. The photo is a scan of a slide taken more than 20 years ago in Finland, hence the poor colours. It was labelled as a Lesser Whitethroat at the time, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

I'd be very surprised if the ID at the time was wrong. Looking again this morning, the browness of the wing is less than the browness of the tree, and I'm pretty sure that if extra rusty tertial fringes were present, you would see them in the photo.

Lesser for me. Commons always appear to have more of an angular blocky shaped head than the rounded head of the Lesser.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back