• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What made this call? (1 Viewer)

bookworm14

What made this call? Georgia, USA

Tift County Georgia (south central Georgia, USA) 22 April 2010. In heavily wooded swampy land near residential areas.

If I can use a crow as a comparison and indicate a crow call as the familar "caw caw caw", the bird I heard (I did not see it, but had the impression that it must have been crow-size or larger) had a call several notes higher that a crow and repeated about 8 times compared to the crow's 3 or 4:
"ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah"

Also, is there a web site that has recording of bird calls? Perhaps if I had some clue as to what bird I heard, I could listen to 5 or 10 and perhaps find it rather than listen to them all.

Dick Marti
Tifton, GA

Last edited:
Maybe a hawk

The fish crow sound is too spaced out: uh.............uh..............uh..etc
I looked around some more on bird sounds and think that the red-shouldered hawk sound is closer to what I heard, but I am not sure.

Dick

I looked around some more on bird sounds and think that the red-shouldered hawk sound is closer to what I heard, but I am not sure.

Red-shouldereds call in distinct "two syllable" calls, where the first syllable is a little higher in pitch and just a bit louder than the second syllable: KEEyur
KEEyur KEEyur. A distinctive call, very loud.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back