• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

K-x software problem (1 Viewer)

QuestionableCarrot

Hi

Anyone got problems with the Post Processing software that accompanies this camera?
The software is Pentax Camera Utility 4 and everytime I open launch the programme to edit my photos the software crashes.

While I am on the subject I am struggling with RAW shooting.

Having shot lots of bird pix last week it only occurred to me when I returned home that i hadnt shot anything in raw. So I changed the settings to raw, shot a few pix and went to stick them onto the laptop.
Unfortunately for me the RAW files would not open.

The laptop is new, its has lots of ram and graphics...

1) Do I need software to open RAW such as Photoshop?

&

2) I have deleted the Utility programme as it was frustrating the hell out of me - Can anyone recommend one thats worth using, be it free or otherwise?

Ta

QC

Last edited:
I cant help with the software crashing without a lot more information, did you try a re-instal?

You will need software to open or even view RAW files.

RAW; have you set the camera to capture PEF or DNG? as far as I am aware all Pentax DSLRs offer the option to capture either PEF (Pentax's own RAW format) or DNG a more standard RAW format, most software wont open the PEF files, the Utility you just uninstaled would if you can get it working.

And Huntso has hit the nail on the head, join pentaxuser, no doubt one of our guys will soon have your software up and running. Tell em' Spider sent you|8)|

Save your files as DNGs rather than the awkward PEFs, then you can use a brilliant free software called Fast Stone which will auto open your newly downloaded cam files, name the folder for whatever month, then the day.

The viewer will then auto show you the thumbnails inside the folder it just created, and then you can edit them in there if you so wish. I use this exclusively for instant downloading and viewing before deciding which to work on or which to delete

I dont use it for editing myself, as i have ACR5.3 and Adobe PS CS4 extended. But if you just want to get off the ground with a RAW downloader, viewer, and basic editor, this is the one program to use.

http://www.faststone.org/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back