• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best clothing to not be seen by birds (1 Viewer)

davholla

One proviso it cannot be camouflage clothing as I am going to Colombia and you cannot wear it there - sadly the civil war (now almost over) makes this a bad idea.

One proviso it cannot be camouflage clothing as I am going to Colombia and you cannot wear it there - sadly the civil war (now almost over) makes this a bad idea.

If you go to the clothing store Columbia they have light weight, neutral coloured clothing (grey/green) which is good.
Neil.

If you should be unfortunate enough to encounter paramilitary people who would react to someone wearing camouflage clothing I expect they would treat someone dressed from head to foot in olive green similarly. If there's even the slightest chance of an encounter I would be extremely cautious. Neil's suggestion of grey is a good idea - browns too.

Meeting a bunch of heavily armed "desperadoes" on a remote jungle path while dressed like Rambo could really spoil your day!

Last edited:
Plenty of Colombian birders wear camo gear, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't know where you are planning to go but if you are sticking to one of the well worn endemics tours then the chances of running into an armed group (other than the army) are pretty remote. I've been going to Colombia most years for 20 years almost and have only ever seen a paramilitary group once in an area where they were known to be, and never the guerillas.

Plenty of Colombian birders wear camo gear, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't know where you are planning to go but if you are sticking to one of the well worn endemics tours then the chances of running into an armed group (other than the army) are pretty remote. I've been going to Colombia most years for 20 years almost and have only ever seen a paramilitary group once in an area where they were known to be, and never the guerillas.

I agree with this - I've been just three times but have had no problems with all green clothing in forests, on the main birding circuits.

cheers, alan

That is interesting the Colombian birdwatching guide says don't, perhaps they are being overly cautious. I am going to Mocoa, Purace and near Cali. The first two are places with problems.
Out of interest why do you go to Colombia so much, I go because my wife is from there. I am not sure if I would go if I weren't married to her, it can be a very frustrating place.

Last edited:
I would take the advice of your guide to be on the safe side then if you are away from the beaten track.

My wife is also from Colombia but I often go there without her. Initially there was the attraction of it being off the radar for lots of people, now I just like going there and find the people in general pretty friendly and the birding great. Also there's the scenery, the nice food (not to everyones taste I know!), the cheap travel. It always feels like a bit of an adventure in the way most other places I've been to don't.

I would take the advice of your guide to be on the safe side then if you are away from the beaten track.

My wife is also from Colombia but I often go there without her. Initially there was the attraction of it being off the radar for lots of people, now I just like going there and find the people in general pretty friendly and the birding great. Also there's the scenery, the nice food (not to everyones taste I know!), the cheap travel. It always feels like a bit of an adventure in the way most other places I've been to don't.

Sorry I should have been clearer it is the Colombian birdwatching guide book that says that (a great book BTW).
Where is the best places that you have been? For me Minca + El Dorado, Casanare (Hato La Aurora). The most disappointing Leticia (the tour was rubbish) and Gorgona - the health and safety was too strict.

I would probably avoid camo gear if its an area which has recently had problems. On a general note I never wear it myself...birds can see you whatever you are wearing if you are moving.

I have been to some great spots in Colombia, especially some of the pro-aves reserves in the andes, but I still feel I have barely scratched the surface.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back