• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GREETINGS...Introducing myself to this Forum (1 Viewer)

A superbly done woodchat shrike! Shrikes are the ultimate passerine to sketch - great shapes and they hold that pose just long enough.....

I know zero about oil plainting, but you've done a stellar job here, Mayo.

Regards

Russ

sketch

Hey There....
Thank you all..Shrikes are for sure beautiful birds..I took my sister,my mom and my nephew birding last summer,with my kids and my wife...Full family...just a casual walk,but I had my scope and my binoculars..I was able to point some good birds to them...my kids and wife are used to see birds,and to look through the scope,but these guys were just amazed!!!...One the birds was the Shrike,They looked at the bird and were amazed at the colors,The bird was a bit far away,and they All were trying to precisely determine all the hues on the feathers,..very interesting too,to see how they experienced that "first light" to a species they have probably seen before ,but completely overlooked....It is a wonderful feeling to be able to show Something to Someone in a way they have never seen it before,I guess doing Art is a bit of the same....
I did another sketch today that I like .I enjoyed working on it and I thought of posting it..Its an Ink drawing in the same style of the first ones I posted..This time is the Robin.Its fairly simple,but it works...It has something catchy for my eye...I think I will post this Sketch in the Christmas Robin Thread as well!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2679.JPG
    IMG_2679.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Scratch out the "oops" Mayo!

We all must leave ourselves bare to mistakes in sketching!

It is how we recover and make best that signals us out. All mistakes will show the viewer how you recovered your delightful perfection!

This is a delightful wonder!

I did another sketch today that I like .I enjoyed working on it and I thought of posting it..Its an Ink drawing in the same style of the first ones I posted..This time is the Robin.Its fairly simple,but it works...It has something catchy for my eye...I think I will post this Sketch in the Christmas Robin Thread as well!!!

Very nice mayoayo, like everything you've posted so far. Don't forget to post in the Christmas Robin thread. It is a striking painting.

Hi there....Thanks again to all of You for stopping by,and all the nice comments..All very appreciated. It is my pleasure to keep posting my little attempts to capture birds personality in this sketches...Very challenging little subjects...their subtile features and proportions...fascinating ...I keep looking for some of the sketches I did on the field ,last year,because I would like to share them in this forum,as I Know most of You go out birding and nothing really compares with that emotive encounter between a life bird and a wildlife artist...I have some funny ones,and I will post them as soon as I get the right sketch pad out...Still not going out ,and working from photos ,preparing some oils and studying a large encaustic (wax)piece,but in the mean time I keep sketching.Couple of pieces here from Yesterday ..probably I will keep working on the Linnet,even If I ruin it,so decided to take a photo and save it here..right now gives me that sweet frustration feeling of having things that I really like, mixed with others that dont work that well.Working with a couple color inks ,white watercolor and some white acrylic..of course these are not very brilliant or colorful,but for now im more interested in proportions,so I dont mind.
The little Woodpecker is very simple ,but I had a lot of fun with it,Black and white birds,with the brutal contrast are very graphic,and perfect for sketching!

Happy Holidays to all of You,dont let me forget that Is the season,and please keep working and posting as well,,..Is very inspiring
ThanKs

Attachments

• IMG_2706.JPG
    IMG_2706.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2709.JPG
    IMG_2709.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hey..I forgot this other sketch..I quite like this guy´s Head!,..There is something about raptors,huh?..This head is from a Lesser Kestrel....

Attachments

• IMG_2711.JPG
    IMG_2711.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 45
Hey..I forgot this other sketch..I quite like this guy´s Head!,..There is something about raptors,huh?..This head is from a Lesser Kestrel....

I've never seen a Lesser Kestrel Mayoayo but I immediately thought kestrel when I saw it. All very nice and full of personality, almost like portraits of well known-birds that you see every day. They almost seem like portraits of friends.

Wonderful group of sketches since I last checked in! Your style works so well for these studies - just excellent.

Agachadiza!!!!

I had a little bit of time to study a bird that always fascinated me...A study in black ink,couldnt resist to accent a bit the buffy rufous tail!.I like this sketch,so posting away!

Attachments

• IMG_2713.JPG
    IMG_2713.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 60
I kept working a little after dinner!(Bon Apetit!)...Gosh I love the proportions of these Snipes!..I made a fast sketch ,trying to keep my hand loose ,and my line fluid..So far,this one is now my favorite for the day,and makes the last one I posted look a bit contrived..I shall just edit my last post,change pictures,and no one will notice!..oh well...lets keep both posted...Sweet Dreams!

Attachments

• IMG_2719.JPG
    IMG_2719.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 84
Excellent stuff!

I'm beginning to appreciate beauty in the simplicity of black and white drawings -when it's well done of course, and these snipe are great. This medium seems ideally suited to a cryptically plumaged bird like this. I love how you've rendered the barring on the underparts - expertly done.

Regards

Russ

the more I see, the more I love what you're doing, and agachadiza is now my favourite word for my favourite bird, better than "bécassine".

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back