• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300mm Connundrum (1 Viewer)

Without a doubt ;)

Two 80-320 pics. Light was terrible though

Attachments

• Dunnock.jpg
    Dunnock.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Reed Bunting.jpg
    Reed Bunting.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 107
Ok folks I think I may have been wrong saying they were the same lens - hope someone can clear this up.

Which 300mm lens is the one to go for?

THe kit 300 lens is ED L but the more expensive one is SMC DA?

I take it the SMC one is the prime lens with better IQ or is the kit lens that you get with the K-x just the same?

Confused:smoke:

it does seem a bit silly doesn't it|:d| but most images coming out of a digital camera will need some form of post processing.
But you can still see what the lens is capable of producing and thats what counts.

Well said! I have images from the DA*300mm that are very detailed and sharp and that only get resized for display. Even the pros with lenses costing 4 or 5 times what the DA*300mm costs and and equally expensive FF body use some form of PP.

Ok folks I think I may have been wrong saying they were the same lens

You were probably quite right. I dont know of any other 55-300mm lens produced by Pentax. The one I am refering to is officially named;
SMC PENTAX-DA 1:4-5.8 55-300mm ED

SMC All Pentax lenses are SMC, it simply means Super Multi-Coating, if there are two 55-300 lenses they will both have SMC.
DA Means the lens is optimized for use on Digital bodies.
ED Is a lens that uses extra-low dispersion glass elements (basically this is to reduce color aberrations in telephoto lenses)
ED L??? never heard of it, but whoever listed it may be confusing it with DA L Which is basically a DA lens that is of a lighter construction,

This brings us back to Greypoints reply, Pentax produce the exact same lens in both metal and plastic mounts, the latter been sold without lens hoods as a kit lens with body, they are refered to as L lenses. Not sure about the Quick Shift he mentions, I wasn't aware that this lens had it.

Anything with a * in the model name is expensive, as its Pentaxs' top glass. They call them ' LIMITEDS '

Anything with a * in the model name is expensive, as its Pentaxs' top glass. They call them ' LIMITEDS '

Your not quite 100% right there Musoman.
Both * (Star) lenses and Limiteds are indeed top end glass, but Star lenses are not refered to as Limiteds and Limiteds are not Stars (are you confused yet:brains:) To add further confusion Limiteds are not really Limited8-P

I've just hijacked this from Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

# Limited: Similar to the * designation in that the lenses are of very high quality, but not meaning that the lens is being produced in limited quantities. Star-lenses are generally large and expensive zooms and Limited lenses are generally compact and expensive primes with not very wide apertures.

PS those shots from the 80-320 aren't that bad, especially if the light was poor.

Cheers for clearing that up Spider - rediculous model naming by Pentax ! Canon got it right by simply naming theirs with an L designation. I guess something like that was too easy to understand for Pentax ;)

Just to add my penith, found the DA 1:4-5.8 55-300mm ED a great lens for the price but the DA* 300mm F4 ED IF is something else, extremely sharp before any processing.

No need to rub it in Tom, I KNOW I've not got a DA*300mm|=(|.....(yet;))

I suppose you'll be bringing the FA*600mm with you on Saturday, you know everyone will want a go|:D|

Alan, I will bring the 600mm, thats why my other will be with me, to carry it!!

Actually that might be a bad idea, my other half may be coming too and if she sees me drooling and fawning over a 600mm and caling it "My Precious" then we may well be having a domestic there and then8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back