• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Jay- Montgomery, MN (1 Viewer)

booboo_2002

I just viewed a bluejay feeding this evening on my deck, however, this one was different. The jay had the same coloring/pattern as Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)-native to Minnesota, however, the head and neck were a pinkish-brown hue instead of the blue-white-black combo. The closest coloring to this, I would say, would resemble the coloring of a female Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) in the juvenile stage. I have researched my bird guide book- The Sibley Guide to Birds by David Allen Sibley and also looked through the web, but have not found any id's. I didn't get the opportunity to take a picture, but I can work on that. Has anyone seen a similar bird or heard of a similar id? Would it be a possibility for a Blue Jay and Cardinal to cross breed and form a hybrid? Please let me know!

I just checked Avibase's Minnesota Bird Checklist and do not see Steller's Jay listed.

But, stranger things have happened!

booboo_2002, it would be great if you could get a photo.

How would that account for "pinkish-brown" head and neck?
:h?:

OK, I did take a little liberty with the "pinkish-brown" head description which might have been "blackish" (as per Steller's Jay). Sort of a "shot in the dark", so to speak.:-C

* Was more or less going with the initial statement by the OP "I just viewed a bluejay .....".

Hopefully, a photograph of the bird will be forthcoming.

The Stellar Jay is out of the question lol. I thought of it possibly being a young Jay, but the pics in the books I've looked through don't show any hues of the brownish color. I haven't seen it since...maybe the chicks are developing new colors :/

Could the bird have gotten his head and neck discolored by some substance?
Birds have a hard time keeping that part of their bodies manicured.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back